Matlab: Graphing Heat transfer

In summary, the code should output the results and a graph of the temperature variation within the wall. The code needs to be able to run and output these results without any further user manipulation to the graphs via the mouse.
dropdeadmarc

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=25746&stc=1&d=1273715951.png

I've been given a Heat transfer problem, which I must solve in Matlab.
The code should output the results and a graph of the temperature variation within the wall.

Also the code needs to be able to run and output these results without any further user manipulation to the graphs via the mouse. All commands in a ".m" file.

Homework Equations

hold on;
plot(t',h')

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no problem solving for the temperature change and rate of heat loss. I'm just having a problem with how to graph the temperature change versus the distance. I'm assuming it should be similar to the image supplied.

I figured I could do something like the following, where it would plot individual points:

hold on;
while t< the thickness of each transition
find temp
plot
t=t+.1
end

However, this is overly complicated and would take a lot of time to set up. The temperature change throughout each material is linear. So I would think that If I just calculate the temperature at the material change points, I could just plot those points, and then connect these points with lines.

Is there some syntax that would make this possible to code?
I tried searching online and using "help plot" but to no avail

Attachments

• Picture.png
    Picture.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 710
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dropdeadmarc, welcome to PF. Just plot the temperatures of the interfaces against the locations of the interfaces. The regions in between will be connected by straight lines (e.g., plot([x1 x2 x3],[T1 T2 T3])). Does this answer your question?

Mapes said:
Hi dropdeadmarc, welcome to PF. Just plot the temperatures of the interfaces against the locations of the interfaces. The regions in between will be connected by straight lines (e.g., plot([x1 x2 x3],[T1 T2 T3])). Does this answer your question?

Thats exactly what I was looking for. I've only used Matlab to plot individual points and lines based on functions. I don't know why I didn't try that though.
Thank you so much!

Related to Matlab: Graphing Heat transfer

1. How do I graph heat transfer data in Matlab?

To graph heat transfer data in Matlab, you can use the "plot" function. First, organize your data into two arrays - one for the x-values and one for the y-values. Then, use the "plot" function to create a line plot of the data. You can also customize the plot by adding titles, labels, and adjusting the axes.

2. Can I create a 3D graph of heat transfer in Matlab?

Yes, you can create a 3D graph of heat transfer in Matlab using the "mesh" function. This function allows you to plot a surface by specifying the x, y, and z coordinates of the points you want to plot. You can also add color and customize the appearance of the graph.

3. How do I add multiple lines to a heat transfer graph in Matlab?

To add multiple lines to a heat transfer graph in Matlab, you can use the "hold" function. This allows you to plot multiple lines on the same graph without erasing the previous data. You can also use the "legend" function to label each line and make the graph easier to interpret.

4. What is the difference between a scatter plot and a line plot in Matlab?

A scatter plot in Matlab displays individual data points as dots on a graph, while a line plot connects these data points with a line. A scatter plot is useful for visualizing the distribution of data, while a line plot is often used to show the trend or relationship between two variables.

5. Can I export a heat transfer graph from Matlab to another program?

Yes, you can export a heat transfer graph from Matlab to another program by using the "saveas" function. This allows you to save the graph as an image file, such as a PNG or JPEG, which can then be inserted into other programs or documents. You can also adjust the resolution and size of the exported image.