Matlab for loops involving matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the range of values for x1 and x2 in a given system of equations by using a for loop and the RREF function in MATLAB. The range of values for a is specified to be between -pi and pi, and for each value of a, the system is solved and the corresponding values of x1 and x2 are plotted. The data cursor tool can be used to determine the range of values for x1 and x2 from the plot. The conversation also mentions the availability of helpful documentation on the mathworks website.
aplittle31
Given the following system of equations
3x1 + ax2 = 1
ax1 + 4x2 = 0

where -pi ≤ a ≤ pi. We would like to find out the range of values of x1 and x2 that are observed as a is varied. Do this as follows:

1. Create a for loop that uses the variable a as the indexing value, varied from over the
specified range in increments of 0.2.
2. For each value of a, solve the above system by using the RREF function.
3. Also for each value of a, plot the values of x1 and x2 against the corresponding value of a
for each loop iteration (i.e. the coordinate pairs (a,x1) and (a,x2)). Include a legend in
your final plot! See MATLAB help for more details.
4. From the plot, determine the range of values for x1 and x2. You may use the data cursor
tool to pick off values from the plot.

I understand and have completed step 1. However I don't know how to assign each new a to a variable that can be plugged into the matrix for step 2. Right now my for loop looks like:

i=0.2;
for a=-1*pi:i:pi,
a
end

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Matlab for loops involving matrix

1. What is a for loop in Matlab?

A for loop in Matlab is a programming construct that allows you to execute a block of code repeatedly for a specified number of times or until a certain condition is met. It is used for automating repetitive tasks and iterating over data structures like matrices.

2. How do I create a for loop for a matrix in Matlab?

To create a for loop for a matrix in Matlab, you can use the for keyword followed by a variable that will act as the loop counter. Then, specify the range of values for the counter using the : operator. Inside the loop, you can access elements of the matrix using their indices or use the end keyword to refer to the last index.

3. What is the syntax for a for loop in Matlab?

The syntax for a for loop in Matlab is as follows:

for counter = start_value:end_value % code to be executed % inside the loopend

The counter variable is used to keep track of the loop iterations, start_value and end_value specify the range of values for the counter, and the code inside the for loop will be executed for each iteration.

4. Can I use a for loop to modify elements of a matrix in Matlab?

Yes, you can use a for loop to modify elements of a matrix in Matlab. Inside the loop, you can access and modify specific elements of the matrix using their indices. This is useful for performing operations on large matrices or for creating new matrices based on existing ones.

5. How do I terminate a for loop in Matlab?

You can terminate a for loop in Matlab using the break keyword. This will immediately exit the loop and continue with the next line of code after the loop. You can also use the continue keyword to skip the remaining code inside the loop for the current iteration and continue with the next iteration.