Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Maths Skype Study Buddy

confusedatmath

Jan 2, 2014
Hey guys, I'm interested in having someone who likes maths to discuss maths questions/solutions/concepts with myself.

This is just to improve my understandings over the year.

Message skype name below, or PM me for mine

I'm interested in studying on precalculus/calculus/trig/graphs/functions/probability

IB HL maths students would be welcome, or anyone who is willing to give the above a good shot in 2014 :)

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
I can try, I have university education in maths, should be able to cover everything you need, will be happy to assist and share insights to the best of my ability, and, more importantly, actually have more free time than I can use (though as usual, don't expect me to be available 24/7, this is not a legally binding contract, etc..)

My skype is "tomcrypto".

confusedatmath

Jan 2, 2014
Thank You! I just need some guidance. A textbook can only do so much, and my teachers have been...hmm...unsatisfactory. :)

Deveno

MHB Math Scholar
Feb 15, 2012
Well if all else fails, you can always post here. Forum posts do not necessarily just have to be "problems", you can ask more general questions about how or why a certain process works, or clarification on basic concepts.

Of course, it helps to be as specific as you can, so "problem format" seems to work well for "stumbling blocks", if a question is too vague, users might not answer, or not address the matter you actually want the answer to.

Mathematics has sort of a "dual nature", on the one hand it is a means to an end: perhaps to illuminate a physical situation, or model possible outcomes in a game, or economics, or...well, a whole lot of stuff. On the other hand, at its higher reaches, it becomes an "end in itself", studied because of the fascinating internal patterns it displays.

Different people have different affinities for each of these aspects...some are fine with the "definition/theorem/proof" mode, and then go to pieces over "word problems" while others can only get the "gist" of a theorem by seeing how it relates to something actual they can imagine. Despite some opinions to the contrary that some of our posters may hold, each path (applied or pure) is a valid view of things, and sometimes they complement each other rather nicely. You'll have to decide for yourself what floats your boat.

Good luck with your studies, and don't be shy! Everyone has to start somewhere.