Maths requirements for aerospace engineering

In summary, your footing with others shouldn't be that much different after one year. Most university students in engineering have only taken differential and integral calculus by that point, so it isn't like you are that far behind. As long as you are comfortable with taking calculus, then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do it.
lntz
Hello,

right now I am a first year architecture student in the UK, but I'm really not enjoying my course as much as i'd thought I would. I think I surprised my family when I chose this path, as they all assumed I would do something either in science or engineering.

Anyway, I am considering changing disciplines and am willing to go back to first year etc to make this happen.

I am looking into the fields of aerospace engineering - my current university offers the course so I would not have to worry about changing housing arrangements that have already been made, but I am interested in hearing about what the maths content is likely to be.

I did maths, physics and chemistry at A-level so I think I am capable of applying myself to the subject, but most of my maths is a bit rusty since geometry and statics are what I use on a day to day basis on my course.

So, do you think it would be a shock to my system to change disciplines, or would refreshing my memory over summer be enough to get me on an even footing with everyone else? I have help available at home from my stepdad, so I wouldn't have to learn things by myself.

Anyway, sorry for the long and rather vague question, but I'm really just looking to enquier about the level my maths should be at before I begin such a course.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Lntz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your footing with others shouldn't be that much different after one year. Most university students in engineering have only taken differential and integral calculus by that point, so it isn't like you are that far behind. As long as you are comfortable with taking calculus, then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to do it.

In general, you will end up taking at least differential and integral calculus, calculus of several variables, and ordinary differential equations by the time you are done. Pretty much all programs that I know of go beyond that, but which math they emphasize depends on the program. Usually it is some mix of linear algebra, statistics and probability, and partial differential equations.

Hey,

Assuming you took your A levels immediately before University, I think you would be okay in terms of course difficulty/workload as long as you study and refresh your knowledge on A level maths, mainly calculus during the summer beforehand - as it's easy to fall behind :)

I'd recommend studying hard though (whilst on the course), the harder you work the easier and more enjoyable it will be. I know 5 students who failed after their first year on eng because they didn't apply themselves and therefore didn't enjoy any of it.

In the context of changing career direction, it's only a year - and it was architecture, not that far afield from engineering.

Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy engineering!

at the college I am planning on transferring to requires algebra, trig, calc1, calc2, calc3, and differential equations at a minimum. and I think you need 6 hours of math electives. something like linear algebra or college geometry might be what I pick

In addition to statics you'll also make great use of dynamics and you may have a required course in electronics and materials science by your second year.

However, if you will be reverting back to first year, you will need at least Pre-Calc and trig.

By the time you graduate you should expect to have the following mathematical courses at minimum:
Calculus 1-3
Differential Equations
A catch-all class encompassing Fourier series probability and statistics.

I never took the latter as I opted to get a math minor and took a few extra classes for fun :)

Related to Maths requirements for aerospace engineering

What are the math requirements for aerospace engineering?

The math requirements for aerospace engineering typically include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. These courses provide a foundation for understanding the principles of flight, aerodynamics, and propulsion.

Do I need to be good at math to become an aerospace engineer?

Yes, a strong understanding of math is essential for a career in aerospace engineering. The complex calculations and problem-solving skills required in this field rely heavily on a strong foundation in math.

Is it necessary to take advanced math courses in high school to pursue aerospace engineering?

While it is not required to take advanced math courses in high school, it can be beneficial for students interested in pursuing a career in aerospace engineering. These courses can provide a solid foundation for college-level math courses and can also demonstrate a strong interest in the field to college admissions committees.

What math concepts are most important for aerospace engineering?

The most important math concepts for aerospace engineering include calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. These concepts are used to solve problems in aerodynamics, propulsion, and flight dynamics.

Are there any resources available to help me improve my math skills for aerospace engineering?

Yes, there are many resources available to help improve math skills for aerospace engineering. These include online tutorials, textbooks, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services for students struggling with math courses.