Maths question regarding factors

• Thread starter ujjwal3097
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factors
In summary, the question asks for a two digit positive number that has 1 and itself as factors, as well as any other number as a factor, for a total of 3 factors. The answer is 25 and 49, as they are the only two digit numbers with three distinct factors, with 25 being the square of 5 and 49 being the square of 7.
ujjwal3097
hi everyone
this was the question that my teacher gave me yesterday and answered it but she didn't told me whether i was correct or not so please help me out .
Question:Digit number with factors as 1 and the number itself and any other number.::::::::
Answer: 25

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure what the question is here. Do you mind rephrasing it? The number 25 does not have only 1 and itself as factors.

q
axmls said:
I'm not exactly sure what the question is here. Do you mind rephrasing it? The number 25 does not have only 1 and itself as factors.
question says that mention a two digit positive number that has 1 and number itself as a factor plus any other number as a factor that means total 3 factors are there any other number other than 25 .

Well, if you mean three distinct factors (1, itself, and another number), then 49 also falls under that category.

Likes ujjwal3097
To show that the only two digit numbers with three distinct factors is 25 and 49, let ##x## be a number with this property. Then clearly ##1 | x## and ##x|x##. Let the third factor be ##a##. Define ##b = x / a##. But if there are only three distinct factors we have ##a = b## so ##x = a^2##. Now because ##c | a \implies c|x##, so we must have ##a## being a prime number. Then only prime squares between ##10 \leq x \leq 99## are ##5^2 = 25## and ##7^2 = 49##.

pwsnafu said:
To show that the only two digit numbers with three distinct factors is 25 and 49, let ##x## be a number with this property. Then clearly ##1 | x## and ##x|x##. Let the third factor be ##a##. Define ##b = x / a##. But if there are only three distinct factors we have ##a = b## so ##x = a^2##. Now because ##c | a \implies c|x##, so we must have ##a## being a prime number. Then only prime squares between ##10 \leq x \leq 99## are ##5^2 = 25## and ##7^2 = 49##.
sir can you please explain the answer in simpler terms I will really appreciate this
thank you

What is the first point that you don't understand?

First, we know that 1 and x are factors of x by definition. If x has three distinct factors, then call the last one ##a##. We need to show two things: a is prime, and a2 is equal to x.

To show that it is prime, suppose that it was composite. So there is another number, ##c##, which is a factor of ##a##. But ##c## itself is a factor of x. Hence c must divide x, which contradicts x having only three factors. Hence a is a prime number.

To show the latter, we know ##a## divides ##x##. Define b = a divided by x. So ab = x. But this means b is also a factor of x. If x has three factors, the only candidates of b are 1, a, and x. b=1 means a = x, which is a contradiction. Similarly b can't be x. So the only remaining possibility is a = b, and so ##x=a^2##

Ah- I missed the requirement that the number be a two digit number. If a number has two distinct prime factors, say a, b, then it has 1, a, b, and ab as factors so to have only 1, itself, and one other number as factors, It must be of the form [itex]a^2[/itex] where a is a prime number- that has only 1, a and [itex]a^2[/itex] as factors. To be two digits, a must be larger than 3 (because [itex]3^2= 9[/itex] which has only one digit) and less than 11 (because [itex]11^2= 121[/itex] which has three digits).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Maths question regarding factors

1. What is a factor in mathematics?

A factor in mathematics is a number that divides evenly into another number without leaving a remainder. For example, the factors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.

2. How do you find the factors of a given number?

To find the factors of a given number, you can list out all the numbers that divide evenly into that number. You can also use division to find factors by dividing the number by smaller numbers and seeing if there is a remainder.

3. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A prime number is a number that has exactly two factors, 1 and itself. On the other hand, a composite number is a number that has more than two factors. For example, 7 is a prime number because its only factors are 1 and 7, while 12 is a composite number because it has factors 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 12.

4. How many factors does a perfect square have?

A perfect square has an even number of factors. This is because a perfect square is the result of multiplying a number by itself, so it will have the same factor twice (i.e. 4 x 4 = 16, factors are 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16).

5. How can factoring be used in real-life applications?

Factoring is used in various real-life applications, such as finding the lowest common denominator in fractions, simplifying algebraic expressions, and solving equations in finance and economics. It is also used in computer programming and cryptography to break down large numbers into their prime factors.