Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

maths and music

Pratibha

Dec 3, 2014
Is there any application of maths in music, which topic is directly used. I've heard group theory is used, but how it is used. Plz help..i m going to work on a project that will show how maths works in music or sound system.

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Is there any application of maths in music, which topic is directly used. I've heard group theory is used, but how it is used. Plz help..i m going to work on a project that will show how maths works in music or sound system.
If you know a bit about how to read music, the mathematics of music becomes obvious.

Music is written on a "staff" (five horizontal lines). If you create a simple tempo (amount of time), you can mark this with equally spaced vertical lines, called "measures" or "bars".

A note has two important features, its PITCH (how high or low it is) and its DURATION. So when you see notes drawn on the staff inside each bar, it's telling you WHAT FRACTION OF THE BAR (i.e. how many beats) that each note goes for.

Pitch is also determined by mathematical relationships. I suggest you read this article.

RLBrown

Apr 14, 2014
Loveland, Colorado USA
Link