Voltmeter IC for Measuring Voltage in BCD

In summary, there are several options for creating a voltmeter that can display the voltage in decimal numbers, such as using PICs or AVRs to output BCD with a given voltage input, using a VCO to PIC frequency counter, or using an ADC-BCD IC. Companies like Fairchild, Dallas Semiconductors, and Maxim offer products that can help with this project. Other options include using an Atmel or Pic micro for a more versatile design that can switch to different display methods, such as LCD, serial, or parallel. Additionally, reading data sheets is important for exploring electronics and understanding how to use specific chips, such as the NTE2054, which can be used to power a 7-segment
david90
Is there an IC that ouput the input voltage in BCD? I want to make a voltmeter that can display the voltage in decimal number.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, PICs, and AVRs can be programmed to output BCD with a given voltage input... Another option(s) would be a VCO to PIC frequency counter or (like your original question asked) an ADC-BCD IC. There are a miriad of methods available. Cruise by fairchild or dallas semiconductors and look through their products.

Here, Maxim has ADC to BDC near the top of the page: http://para.maxim-ic.com/ADConverters.htm

Personally, I'd use an Atmel micro or a Pic micro for a project like this. The design can be more versatile. You can switch to LCD, serial, or parallel if you feel so inclinde.

Good luck.

I found this http://braincambre500.freeservers.com/ddv.htm [Broken]
Just what I'm looking for. I haven't study micro programming yet so that is out of the quesiton.

Last edited by a moderator:
the a/d chip on that site uses multiplexing to power the 7 seg led. How does that work? THe chip turn the led on and off so fast that our eyes won't see the flickering?

david90 said:
the a/d chip on that site uses multiplexing to power the 7 seg led. How does that work? THe chip turn the led on and off so fast that our eyes won't see the flickering?

Yes :smile:

Have you learned how to read the data sheets? If your going to explore electronics, reading data sheets is one of the most important things you can do. http://www.nteinc.com/specs/2000to2099/pdf/nte2054.pdf this tells all you need to know about using this particular chip.

Skip to the circuit description and all should become clear.

Well, good luck

1. What is a voltmeter IC for measuring voltage in BCD?

A voltmeter IC is an integrated circuit that is specifically designed to accurately measure voltage in a binary-coded decimal (BCD) format. It is typically used in electronic devices to monitor and display voltage levels.

2. How does a voltmeter IC work?

A voltmeter IC works by converting the analog voltage signal into a digital signal. It then uses a BCD decoder to convert the digital signal into a BCD format which is displayed on the output pins of the IC.

3. What are the advantages of using a voltmeter IC?

One of the main advantages of using a voltmeter IC is its high accuracy and precision in measuring voltage levels. It also requires very few external components, making it cost-effective and easy to use. Additionally, it has a wide measurement range and can handle both AC and DC voltages.

4. Can a voltmeter IC be used for measuring other parameters besides voltage?

Some voltmeter ICs have the capability to measure other parameters such as current, resistance, and temperature. However, the majority of voltmeter ICs are specifically designed for measuring voltage and may not have the necessary components to accurately measure other parameters.

5. How do I choose the right voltmeter IC for my application?

When choosing a voltmeter IC, it is important to consider the required measurement range, accuracy, and resolution for your specific application. Additionally, you should also consider the supply voltage, input impedance, and any additional features that may be necessary for your project.