Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mathematics study

Ruun

Feb 1, 2012
Hi!

I'm wondering how do we study mathematics. If the book has exercises, after reading (maybe several times) the theory, you can go and do the exercises. If the book is only theory and no exercises, how do you check your understanding on the subject?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Hi!

I'm wondering how do we study mathematics. If the book has exercises, after reading (maybe several times) the theory, you can go and do the exercises. If the book is only theory and no exercises, how do you check your understanding on the subject?
You read maths books with a pad and pen and derive things yourself as you go.

CB

Alexmahone

Jan 26, 2012
If the book is only theory and no exercises, how do you check your understanding on the subject?
I learn maths by doing the exercises.

If your book is only theory and no exercises, maybe you should get an "exercise book". (Out of curiosity, which is this "theory book"?)

Sherlock

Jan 28, 2012
I learn maths by doing the exercises.

If your book is only theory and no exercises, maybe you should get an "exercise book". (Out of curiosity, which is this "theory book"?)
I agree. I don't remember ever understanding a maths topic without doing a large number of problems.

pickslides

Feb 1, 2012
I agree. I don't remember ever understanding a maths topic without doing a large number of problems.
Fair comment, you'll find through your journey of Math education that there is less empathsis on this.

The two reasons are 1) as the topics become more advanced the amount of work required to solve problems also increases and 2) there is an assumption on prior learning that will always be there to help you.

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
I have worked in a book publisher which makes theory books and one of the rules is no exercises, just examples.