Mathematics Guidance for Hobbyists: Where to Start?

In summary, the speaker is seeking recommendations from mathematicians on where to start in gaining a solid understanding of pure mathematics. They have a background in formal mathematics courses but have not pursued further classes. They plan to start from the basics and aim to reach a master's level proficiency. Their interests lie in pure math, optimization, and statistics, and they have no desire to go back to school as this is purely a hobby. The speaker is open to suggestions and guidance from the community and lists some recommended topics to cover, such as proof methods, set theory, analysis, topology, vector analysis, and measure and integration theory. They also mention the option to include other topics based on personal interests, such as abstract algebra, logic, and differential equations
mxc
Hello,

I am seeking the opinion of mathematicians. I want a solid understanding of pure mathematics. I would like your opinions on where to start.

My background in formal mathematics courses ended with the standard calculus series. I pursued no further classes while attending college.

My plan is to start from the very basics and build up my knowledge through what would be considered a solid master's level degree of proficiency in the discipline.

My interests are mainly what would be considered "pure" math, but down the road I could see optimization and statistics being very interesting. I have no interest in mathematics as it applies to natural science.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on where to begin laying the foundation?

Please also note that I currently have a decent job and have no desire to go back to school. I am doing this purely as a hobby.

I'd like to thank the community in advance for your suggestions and guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
One reasonable attempt at compiling what you ought to know is here.

Learn basics of proof methods and set theory (just learn the notation at first, come back to it later, if needed). Then start learning Analysis (epsilon delta definition of limit, continuity, Riemann Integral etc.), Topology, Vector Analysis, Measure and Integration theory (Lebesgue integral).

This seems to be the core (1st and 2nd year) for pure math students here. You can include other things according to your own interests. Like abstract algebra, logic, differential equations. I can't recommend books because I have used our department's own material which is not in English (and I haven't studied all this stuff yet).

Related to Mathematics Guidance for Hobbyists: Where to Start?

1. What is the importance of mathematics for hobbyists?

Mathematics is essential for hobbyists as it helps to develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and logical reasoning. It also provides a solid foundation for understanding and exploring various hobbies, such as coding, woodworking, or cooking.

2. How do I determine my skill level in mathematics as a hobbyist?

The best way to determine your skill level in mathematics is by assessing your understanding of basic concepts like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also try solving problems from different levels of difficulty to gauge your proficiency.

3. What are some good resources for learning mathematics as a hobbyist?

There are many great resources available for hobbyists to learn mathematics, such as online tutorials, books, and interactive websites. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MathIsFun.

4. How can I apply mathematics to my specific hobby?

To apply mathematics to your specific hobby, you can start by identifying the mathematical concepts and skills required for that hobby. For example, if you enjoy woodworking, you may need to understand geometry and measurement to create precise cuts and angles.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated while learning mathematics as a hobbyist?

Learning mathematics can be challenging, but there are some tips that can help you stay motivated. These include setting achievable goals, taking breaks when needed, seeking help from others, and finding ways to make the learning process fun and engaging.