Mathematics Graduate School Question

In summary, it would be beneficial for you to send your Math Subject GRE scores to all of the schools you are applying to, even if they only recommend or do not require it. This will showcase your strong foundation in mathematics and demonstrate your commitment to your application.
bilbo271
I have a small dilemma about my applications to Mathematics Ph.D. programs. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My dilemma relates to the Math Subject GRE. I took the test in early November, and was not feeling especially well so my scores suffered. I scored a 630 (48th percentile). A number of schools I am applying to require the subject score. However, there are other schools who either "Recommend" or "Do Not Require" the subject score.

My dilemma is this: I obviously have to send the subject score into schools that require it, but would sending in my score to schools that "Recommend" or "Do Not Require" the subject score help or hurt my application?

Here is the rest of my application, for reference:

GRE General Scores: 800Q 710V 4.5AW

Research Experience: 2 Semester research project in linear algebra at my school, presented at a number of conferences (MathFest, JMM, etc). REU at an institution that is not my home institution (project dealt with modeling traffic flow).

Letters of Recommendation: One from each of my research supervisors, and one from a teacher who taught me 2 semesters of abstract algebra (I got an A in both semesters).

Coursework:

Physics - Kinematics (B)
Physics - E & M (A-)
Intro to Computer Science (A)
BC Calculus (5)
Multivariable Calc (B)
Transition to Abstract Math (A)
Linear Algebra (A)
Differential Equations (A)
Abstract Algebra I (A)
Numerical Analysis (A)
Abstract Algebra II - Galois Theory (A)
Real Analysis (A)
Probabilty (Calc-Based) - (A)
Complex Analysis - Spring 2009
Statistics - Spring 2009
Introduction to Topology - Spring 2009

This works out to around a 3.8 GPA for my major courses (my grades in my non-major courses are about the same).

I attend a fairly small, liberal arts school (about 3000 undergrads) that has a fairly strong academic reputation.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any advice:

For reference, the schools I am planning on applying to are:

Texas, Northwestern, Georgia, Clemson, NC State, UNC-Chapel Hill, and Duke

Physics news on Phys.org
.In regards to your dilemma, I think you should send your Math Subject GRE scores to all of the schools that you are applying to, regardless of whether they require or recommend it. Your scores show that you have a solid foundation in mathematics, and that could be beneficial for your application. Additionally, it is better to provide too much information than not enough. By sending in your scores, you are showing the admissions committee that you are serious about your application and that you have nothing to hide. Good luck with your applications!

As a fellow mathematician, I understand your dilemma about the Math Subject GRE scores. It can be a difficult decision to make whether to send in your scores to schools that only "recommend" or "do not require" them. My advice would be to consider the rest of your application and how strong it is overall. If your grades, research experience, and letters of recommendation are all strong, then sending in your subject scores may not make a significant difference. However, if you feel that your subject scores do not accurately reflect your abilities in mathematics, then it may be better to not send them in and instead focus on highlighting your strengths in other areas of your application. Ultimately, it is up to you to decide which option you feel will benefit your application the most. Best of luck in your graduate school applications!

Related to Mathematics Graduate School Question

What is the application process for mathematics graduate school?

The application process for mathematics graduate school typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, standardized test scores (such as the GRE), a personal statement, and any other required materials. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each school you are applying to.

What qualifications do I need to have to be accepted into a mathematics graduate program?

Most mathematics graduate programs require applicants to have a strong background in mathematics and a bachelor's degree in a related field. Some programs may also have specific course requirements or minimum GPA requirements. Additionally, a strong performance on standardized tests and relevant research or work experience may also be considered.

Is it necessary to have letters of recommendation for a mathematics graduate program?

Yes, most mathematics graduate programs require applicants to submit letters of recommendation from professors or other professionals who can speak to their academic abilities and potential for success in graduate school. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can write strong letters on your behalf.

How long does it typically take to complete a mathematics graduate program?

The length of a mathematics graduate program can vary depending on the specific program and whether a student is pursuing a master's or doctoral degree. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete a master's program and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral program. However, this can also depend on factors such as the student's academic progress and the completion of a thesis or dissertation.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of a mathematics graduate program?

Graduates of mathematics graduate programs may pursue careers in academia, research, industry, government, or other fields. Some common job titles for mathematics graduates include mathematician, statistician, data analyst, actuary, and operations research analyst. The skills and knowledge gained in a mathematics graduate program can also be applicable to a wide range of other careers.