Mathematics book to understand Susskind's lectures?

In summary, "Theoretical Minimum" by Susskind is a book that assumes a decent knowledge of mathematics, including trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and statistics. However, it is written for a larger audience and may not provide a deep understanding of the topics. For someone with a high school background in mathematics, it may be a good starting point, as the author explains basic concepts such as radians and trigonometric functions. It is recommended to give it a try and see how well it is understood.
Christian Grey
I am looking for mathematics book required for Susskind's lectures on theoretical minimum?

Physics news on Phys.org
Christian Grey said:
I am looking for mathematics book required for Susskind's lectures on theoretical minimum?

What is your backround in mathematics?

Although I have not read "Theoretical Minimum", I have seen Susskins Lectures and he assumes the viewer has a decent knowledge of mathematics (Trig,Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations (and Partial Differential Equations), Linear Algebra, Statistics...). Since "Theoretical Minimum" was written for a larger audience, the mathematics contained in it is most likeley watered down ( I scanned an open copy on amazon). If you would like a deep understanding of what Susskind is talking about, there is no substitute for years of practiced mathematics and physics.

DeldotB said:
What is your backround in mathematics?

Although I have not read "Theoretical Minimum", I have seen Susskins Lectures and he assumes the viewer has a decent knowledge of mathematics (Trig,Multivariable Calculus, Differential Equations (and Partial Differential Equations), Linear Algebra, Statistics...). Since "Theoretical Minimum" was written for a larger audience, the mathematics contained in it is most likeley watered down ( I scanned an open copy on amazon). If you would like a deep understanding of what Susskind is talking about, there is no substitute for years of practiced mathematics and physics.

Can you recommend me a book? My background is high school mathematics.

i just breezed a fgew pages on amazon and he seems to assume very little math - he even explains radians and trig functions . i recommend just beginning it and seeing how you do.

Related to Mathematics book to understand Susskind's lectures?

1. What is the purpose of Susskind's lectures?

The purpose of Susskind's lectures is to provide a comprehensive understanding of advanced mathematical concepts and their applications in modern physics.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of mathematics to understand Susskind's lectures?

Yes, Susskind's lectures are aimed at individuals with a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra.

3. How can a mathematics book help in understanding Susskind's lectures?

A mathematics book can provide a detailed explanation of the mathematical concepts and formulas used in Susskind's lectures, making it easier to follow and comprehend the material.

4. Are there any recommended mathematics books to accompany Susskind's lectures?

Yes, Susskind himself recommends several books in his lectures, such as "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by Riley, Hobson, and Bence, and "Mathematics for Physicists" by Susan Lea.

5. Can I solely rely on a mathematics book to understand Susskind's lectures?

No, it is important to also watch the lectures and follow along with the examples and explanations given by Susskind. The mathematics book can serve as a supplement to further enhance your understanding.