Mathematics applied to Physics; textbooks.

In summary, a physics undergraduate student is looking for a textbook that explains how calculus is applied in physics. They are interested in a math textbook that gives examples of applying math rules to familiar physics laws and quantities. They are also open to a physics textbook that explains the mathematical steps in solving problems. Several recommendations are given, including Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas and Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Hobson, Riley, and Bence. The student has used Riley and recommends it along with Boas.
bert2002
Hello all.

I'm looking for a good textbook about how the mathematics, particularly calculus is applied in physics. I've done some calculus as i am a physics undergraduate student but i want to better learn the math and see how it is applied in physics as i find that a lot more interesting.

What i am essentially looking for is a math textbook, geared mostly towards calculus that gives examples of how to apply the rules of math in physics. I understand the rules are generally exactly the same but it is much nicer when the math is applied to laws and quantities that i recognise in Physics as it is is mostly the physics i am interested in.

Or a physics textbook that explains the mathematical steps and procedures that are taking place in deriving equations and solving problems.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences - Boas
Schaum's Advanced Maths for Engineers and Scientists - Spiegel
Advanced Engineering Mathematics - Kreizig
Mathematics of Physics and Chemistry -Margenau
Math Methods for Physicists - Arfken

Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking about getting this textbook

http: //www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

- Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering (3rd edition): A Comprehensive Guide - Hobson, Riley, Bence

Any thoughts from people who have used it ?

bert2002 said:
Thanks for the responses.

I'm thinking about getting this textbook

http: //www.amazon.com/Mathematical-Methods-Physics-Engineering-Comprehensive/dp/0521679710/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

- Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering (3rd edition): A Comprehensive Guide - Hobson, Riley, Bence

Any thoughts from people who have used it ?
I've actually primarily used Riley. I like it. Between that and Boas it really doesn't matter which you pick.

Related to Mathematics applied to Physics; textbooks.

1. What is the importance of mathematics in physics?

Mathematics is essential in physics as it provides a language and tools for describing and understanding the physical world. It allows us to make precise measurements, formulate laws and equations, and make predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

2. What are the most commonly used mathematical concepts in physics?

Some of the most frequently used mathematical concepts in physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex numbers. These concepts are used to describe and analyze motion, forces, energy, and other fundamental principles in physics.

3. How are mathematics and physics related in textbooks?

In textbooks, mathematics is often used to explain and support the concepts and theories presented in physics. In many cases, mathematical equations and formulas are derived to describe physical phenomena and are used to solve problems and make predictions.

4. What are some recommended textbooks for learning mathematics applied to physics?

Some popular textbooks for learning mathematics applied to physics include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K. F. Riley, M. P. Hobson, and S. J. Bence, and "Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Donald A. McQuarrie.

5. How can I improve my understanding of mathematics applied to physics?

Practicing problems and working through examples is the best way to improve your understanding of mathematics applied to physics. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical concepts and to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups, for extra support.