'Mathematically Similar' Question

• Thread starter zeldaspurpose
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Igcse
In summary, the OP tried to solve a problem involving volume and surface area, but got stuck. He or she found two hints that may help: finding the ratio of volumes and surface areas, and understanding that some arithmetical simplifications are offered. Additionally, he or she hopes the OP understood.
zeldaspurpose

Homework Statement

314476b.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried cross multiplying but obviously that is not the case. These types of questions are the ones I always lose marks in. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do volume and surface area change if you make an object twice as long/high/thick?
Based on that, what is the scale factor in your problem?

I'm not sure how to find out, I'm really sorry. All I know:

volume of larger container : volume of smaller container
3456 : 1458
Simplified:
64 : 27

Which is where I got stuck. I don't know what to do from there.

If working with weird flask shapes makes you uncomfortable, try doing the same with two cubes. As long as the two bodies are mathematically similar, it shouldn't matter to us. See if that helps.

Likes Merlin3189
zeldaspurpose said:
I'm not sure how to find out, I'm really sorry. All I know:

volume of larger container : volume of smaller container
3456 : 1458
Simplified:
64 : 27

Which is where I got stuck. I don't know what to do from there.

Another hint:

If the ratio of volumes is 64:27, and if you think the ratio of surface areas should be 64:27, do you think the ratio of heights should be 64:27 as well?

PeroK said:
Another hint:

If the ratio of volumes is 64:27, and if you think the ratio of surface areas should be 64:27, do you think the ratio of heights should be 64:27 as well?
And to make an extreme example: an adult human has about 3 to 4 times the height of a newborn baby. How would an adult look like with 3 to 4 times the mass of a newborn baby?

Likes CrazyNinja
And once you get the principle, noticed that some arithmetical simplifications are offered in the numbers given you. (They could even point you the way, but not unambiguously.)

mfb said:
And to make an extreme example: an adult human has about 3 to 4 times the height of a newborn baby. How would an adult look like with 3 to 4 times the mass of a newborn baby?

God @mfb ! Now that visual isn't leaving my head for the next two hours.

I hope the OP understood.

Likes zeldaspurpose and mfb
CrazyNinja said:
God @mfb ! Now that visual isn't leaving my head for the next two hours.
I thought about using the opposite direction but that didn't make it better.

Likes CrazyNinja

Related to 'Mathematically Similar' Question

What is a 'Mathematically Similar' Question?

A 'Mathematically Similar' Question is a problem that has the same underlying mathematical concept or principle as another problem, but may have different numbers or variables. It requires you to use the same mathematical strategies and formulas to solve it.

Why are 'Mathematically Similar' Questions important?

'Mathematically Similar' Questions help you to develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and principles. By solving different problems that are related, you are able to apply your knowledge in various ways and strengthen your problem-solving skills.

How can I identify a 'Mathematically Similar' Question?

To identify a 'Mathematically Similar' Question, look for similarities in the underlying mathematical concept or principle. This may include using the same formulas, having similar diagrams or patterns, or requiring similar problem-solving strategies.

What are some tips for solving 'Mathematically Similar' Questions?

Some tips for solving 'Mathematically Similar' Questions include: carefully reading the problem to identify the underlying concept, using the same strategies and formulas as the related problem, and checking your work for accuracy and understanding.

How can solving 'Mathematically Similar' Questions improve my overall math skills?

Solving 'Mathematically Similar' Questions can improve your overall math skills by allowing you to practice applying the same concept in different ways. This helps to reinforce your understanding and make connections between different mathematical ideas, leading to a stronger foundation in math.