Mathematical representation of higher dimensions

In summary, physicists need to specify a certain number of dimensions in order to make their equations work. This is because the math behind the physics will not work in any other dimension. The requirement for more dimensions is due to the underlying physics, which is related to the mathematical properties of the extra dimensions.
Halitosis Crunch
I'm rather new to physics in general, so bear with me in my potential ignorance.

Considering we have no idea of the absolute properties of higher dimensions, how is it that they're identified in equations? This especially perplexes me when thinking about the Kaluza-Klein theory, or even Superstring theory. How does one know how many dimensions necessary for the given forces to unify without falling on pure speculation?

Assuming it ultimately has to do with spatial limitations, and that in higher dimensions it naturally allows for unification, how do the mechanics of it actually work?

I suppose I enjoy the questions more than answers. Hopefully I'm making sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
In string theory you start with any number of dimension (but it's all relativistic, so one of the dimensions is time). Then you work up your physics, and it turns out that the physics math will blow up unless you specify a certain number of dimensions. And that's how they get 26 dimensional spacetime for bosonic string theory and 10 dimensional for superstring theory, and 11-dimensional for M-theory. Different dimensions because somewhat different physics in each case.

In Kalusza-Klein theory they started with just one extra dimension past the four of normal spacetime. Then if you set up an Einstein-like action on this 5-dimensional manifold, the physics broke out so the 4-dimensional manifild had Einstein's GR and the extra dimension carried Maxwell's equations of electro magnetism.

I see, so the necessity for more dimensions is a direct result of the equations.

Halitosis Crunch said:
I see, so the necessity for more dimensions is a direct result of the equations.

Really of the physics described by the equations. The problem turns up in the math, but it's basically caused by the underlying physics.

Halitosis Crunch said:

A good example, is the inclusion of GR. :smile: Although we have not satisfied the direct experiment verification of gravity waves, certain realizations of the Webber bar reveal something was happening, so they had to progress experimentally to LIGO?

In effect it's like expanding the box to make things fit in harmony, I suppose. I can see how the inclusion of GR in higher dimensions provides a remedy for the discrepancies between Relativity and Quantum Theory.

Related to Mathematical representation of higher dimensions

1. What are higher dimensions in mathematics?

Higher dimensions refer to mathematical spaces that have more than three dimensions. In mathematics, we are familiar with the three dimensions of length, width, and height, but there can be any number of dimensions beyond these three.

2. How are higher dimensions represented mathematically?

Higher dimensions are represented using coordinates and axes, just like we use x, y, and z coordinates to represent points in 3D space. In higher dimensions, we use additional letters, such as w, to represent additional dimensions beyond the three traditional dimensions.

3. What is the purpose of representing higher dimensions mathematically?

The representation of higher dimensions allows us to visualize and understand complex mathematical concepts and equations. It also helps us to solve problems that cannot be easily solved using traditional 3D methods.

4. Can higher dimensions be visualized?

It is difficult for humans to visualize dimensions beyond the three dimensions we are familiar with. However, mathematicians use different techniques, such as projections and 3D models, to help visualize and understand higher dimensions.

5. How are higher dimensions used in real-world applications?

Higher dimensions have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, computer graphics, and data analysis. They are also used in areas such as artificial intelligence and machine learning to represent complex data and make predictions.