Mathematical Representation of a Traveling Wave

In summary, the problem asks to draw two cycles of a wave from x = 0 to x = 2λ at different times, t = 0 and t = T/4. The wave is represented by the equation y = A sin (kx + ωt) where k = 2∏/λ. For part a, when t = 0, the wave will travel in the -x direction and its graph will resemble a sine curve. For part b, when t = T/4, the wave will still travel in the -x direction but will shift half a wavelength to the left. The equation for this part is y = A sin (kx + ∏/2).
Violagirl

Homework Statement

A wave is represented by y = A sin (kx + ωt). Draw two cycles of the wave from x = 0 to x = 2λ at a) t = 0; b) t = T/4, where T = 1/f = 2∏/ω

Homework Equations

y = A sin (kx+ωt)

k = 2∏/λ (number of wave peaks)

The Attempt at a Solution

I had a really hard time on this problem. From what I could do, for part a, I plugged in t = 0 and from that, I know we would end up with the equation:

y = A sin (kx)

From this, I gathered that the wave would be traveling in a -x direction since the sin function is positive. Outside of that though, I had no idea or understanding how to properly draw it...

Part b, the best I could gather is that in plugging in t = T/4, we'd get an equation of:

y = A sin (kx +ω(T/4)).

In taking T = 2∏/ω

We can find ω and get an equation of:

ω = 2∏/T

So our equation will then look like:

y = A sin (kx + (2∏/T) (T/4))

In simplifying the equation further, we get:

y = A sin (kx +∏/2)

Once again though, I'm lost how to properly draw it. I would really appreciate any guidance on to go about drawing it out. Would this equation also show that the wave is moving in the -x direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
So I went back to look at this problem again and I think I found what the graph would look like for part a at time zero. I have the document attached. My question for B then, for the equation found for part B, which was:

y = A sin (kx + ∏/2)

does this mean then that the graph would still move in the -x direction but shift by half a wavelength to the left?

Attachments

• Traveling wave at t=0.jpg
    Traveling wave at t=0.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 652

Related to Mathematical Representation of a Traveling Wave

1. What is a traveling wave?

A traveling wave is a type of wave that moves through a medium, carrying energy from one place to another without permanently displacing the medium itself. It is characterized by a repeating pattern of crests and troughs that move through the medium.

2. How is a traveling wave mathematically represented?

A traveling wave can be represented mathematically by a sine or cosine function, where the amplitude represents the maximum displacement of the wave, the wavelength represents the distance between two crests or troughs, and the frequency represents the number of complete cycles per unit time.

3. What is the difference between a longitudinal and transverse traveling wave?

A longitudinal traveling wave moves in the same direction as the disturbance, while a transverse traveling wave moves perpendicular to the disturbance. An example of a longitudinal wave is sound, while an example of a transverse wave is a water wave.

4. How is the speed of a traveling wave calculated?

The speed of a traveling wave can be calculated by multiplying the wavelength by the frequency, or by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the wave to travel that distance. The speed of a wave is determined by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling.

5. Can a traveling wave be reflected?

Yes, a traveling wave can be reflected when it encounters a boundary between two different media. The angle of reflection is equal to the angle of incidence, and the wave is reflected with the same frequency and wavelength but may have a different amplitude.