Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Geometry - Comments

In summary: I tried to print some articles from your sequence using the browser's print facility (from chrome), and the result was very... unpleasant.I know what you mean. Printing is not my strong point either. I'll take a look at the printing problems you're having and try to help where I can.In summary,Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post. Some diagrams which work ok contain: But both the faulty ones have: \downarrow^\substack{fb}Some diagrams which work ok contain: But both the faulty ones have: \downarrow^\substack{fb}Thanks again. Yes,
Urs Schreiber
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Greg Bernhardt submitted a new PF Insights post

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Geometry
qtf_geometry.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Attachments

• qtf_geometry.png
    qtf_geometry.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 1,019
Likes bhobba, Haelfix and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I encounter some non-rendered latex in Definition 1.7 (sections) and Example 1.8 (trivial bundle).
Anyone else seeing this?

[Edit:] In Definition 1.14. sub-para "1": Typo? ##dx^j## in 2nd line should be ##dx^i## ?

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt
strangerep said:
I encounter some non-rendered latex in Definition 1.7 (sections) and Example 1.8 (trivial bundle).
Anyone else seeing this?

[Edit:] In Definition 1.14. sub-para "1": Typo? ##dx^j## in 2nd line should be ##dx^i## ?

Thanks. I fixed the indexing in Def. 1.14 now. I am not sure yet what is causing the two rendering issues. Will investigate...

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
I am not sure yet what is causing the two rendering issues. Will investigate...
Some diagrams which work ok contain:

\downarrow\substack{fb}

But both the faulty ones have: \downarrow^\substack{fb}

strangerep said:
Some diagrams which work ok contain:

\downarrow\substack{fb}

But both the faulty ones have: \downarrow^\substack{fb}

Thanks again. Yes, that's what triggers the problem. I have removed the "substack", and now it displays.

But an issue remains. The use of "substack" here is a hack anyway. It replaces what in my source is "mathrlap" or "mathllap", neither of which seem to be supported here. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Last edited:
It's offtopic a bit, because it's about technical things, but I'd suggest Greg should also admit collections of pdf's as Insights. Then it would be much easier to write Insights of such typographically challenging texts simply in LaTeX. The greatest obstacle writing Insights articles for me are these technical problems!

Likes Frimus and A. Neumaier
vanhees71 said:
It's offtopic a bit, because it's about technical things, but I'd suggest Greg should also admit collections of pdf's as Insights. Then it would be much easier to write Insights of such typographically challenging texts simply in LaTeX. The greatest obstacle writing Insights articles for me are these technical problems!

I know what you mean. On the other hand, with the script that some kind soul has written for me (who prefers to remain anonymous), 99% of the technical problems have now gone away (for conversion from Instiki to Wordpress that is, but something analogous could be done for conversion from LaTeX to Wordress.) I am confident that the last remaining little issues as above will be sorted out.

[URL='https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/author/urs-schreiber/']Urs Schreiber[/URL] said:
But an issue remains. The use of "substack" here is a hack anyway. I replaces what in my source is "mathrlap" or "mathllap", neither of which seem to be supported here. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know.

Found the solution! Turns out that the functionality of "mathrlap" and "mathllap" is supported here after all, but it needs to be called just as "rlap" and "llap".

Now everything works! (Or so it seems, please let me know if you spot further issues.)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Thanks for sharing this very interesting guide which you clearly took very seriously!

I actually think pdf-notes would be more comfortable to read (and more printer-friendly as well) though, especially on complex subjects like this.

Likes vanhees71
I know what you mean. On the other hand, with the script that some kind soul has written for me (who prefers to remain anonymous), 99% of the technical problems have now gone away (for conversion from Instiki to Wordpress that is, but something analogous could be done for conversion from LaTeX to Wordress.) I am confident that the last remaining little issues as above will be sorted out.
Still I prefer pdf's, particularly since I'm still preferring to print out manuscripts like this on paper. I'm a digital immigrant!

There is two different things you could be asking for here:
  1. A single-file pdf version of the series formatted as is.
  2. A reformatting in standard LaTeX style compiled to a pdf.
I'll provide the former when the series is finished. For the latter we would need somebody offering to write a conversion tool that would convert my source code to LaTeX.

Likes dextercioby
As long as the pdf is as readable as the website and formatted in a way that it can be printed out nicely, I don't care with which tool it is created. Thanks anyway for all this work. I have to struggle to keep up reading and have negative available time at the moment :-(.

There is two different things you could be asking for here:
  1. A single-file pdf version of the series formatted as is.
  2. A reformatting in standard LaTeX style compiled to a pdf.
I'll provide the former when the series is finished. For the latter we would need somebody offering to write a conversion tool that would convert my source code to LaTeX.
I tried to print some articles from your sequence using the browser's print facility (from chrome), and the result was very poor...

A. Neumaier said:
I tried to print some articles from your sequence using the browser's print facility (from chrome), and the result was very poor...
One of the main issues is that all the keyword text links turn into URL address links. Makes it almost unreadable.

Greg Bernhardt said:
One of the main issues is that all the keyword text links turn into URL address links. Make it almost readable.
This makes it almost unreadable as there happen to be lots of links!

To be readable, each link should be replaced in the print version by a reference such as [3], and at the end of the article the reference numbers should be listed together with their link:
[3] http://xxxx.yy...

A. Neumaier said:
This makes it almost unreadable as there happen to be lots of links!

To be readable, each link should be replaced in the print version by a reference such as [3], and at the end of the article the reference numbers should be listed together with their link:
[3] http://xxxx.yy...
Right, that is what I meant. There are some things I can try. Be back later to report.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There are some things I can try
maybe you can make a button that generates a print version. In this case it would be useful to have a choice whether one wants to have all links simply suppressed, or listed in the way suggested above.

A. Neumaier said:
maybe you can make a button that generates a print version. In this case it would be useful to have a choice whether one wants to have all links simply suppressed, or listed in the way suggested above.
Working on that now. First try looked good but now the latex doesn't render.

Likes Urs Schreiber
Greg Bernhardt said:
Working on that now. First try looked good but now the latex doesn't render.
Also, the pdf for the above Insight article has the leading table truncated.
Please place the print/pdf button at the top!

A. Neumaier said:
Also, the pdf for the above Insight article has the leading table truncated.
Please place the print/pdf button at the top!
PDF conversion won't work because it won't render the latex. I'll have to find a friendly print option.

This brings up again my older suggestion to allow also to reach in Insight articles as pdf. Then the author can choose his or her preferred way of writing (LaTeX or even, horribile dictu, Word & Co) and provide a well readable and printable pdf. In the best of all worlds one should have both the pdf and the html version.

I think a way to provide the latter, using LaTeX should be the following: One types LaTeX and at the end translates via query replace to the format (I still don't know what it is, mathjax, WordPress, or something else?) of the Insights editor. The only quibble is that one has to provide also a list of private macro definitions used in the LaTeX. So it's perhaps a bit of cumbersome work to get the final Insights html version to look right.

I fully agree with the suggestion by vanhees71. It would be very nice if at least some of the Insight articles could be read as pdf, at least the ones containing many equations.

eys_physics said:
I fully agree with the suggestion by vanhees71. It would be very nice if at least some of the Insight articles could be read as pdf, at least the ones containing many equations.
This is not easily possible as the latex is rendered by the web browser

At the very least, I know how to produce a readable single-file pdf from my source, formatted as web-display, but readable. I'll provide that when the series is finished.

But I am also in contact with people who think about looking into proper LaTeX conversion of my source. With a little luck, this will work out.

Likes eys_physics and Greg Bernhardt
I am far from an experienced senior like you guys, but wouldn't it be a good idea to put these articles on the arXiv and link to them?

I don't think that means downplaying PhysicsForums; on the contrary if the article's headers clearly mention the link to PF I think it could be great publicity for the forum.

thephystudent said:
wouldn't it be a good idea to put these articles on the arXiv and link to them?

I don't think that means downplaying PhysicsForums; on the contrary if the article's headers clearly mention the link to PF I think it could be great publicity for the forum.

That might be an idea. But if the goal is to make publicity for PF, maybe that would better be served if PF is the exclusive host of this material?

Likes dextercioby
That might be an idea. But if the goal is to make publicity for PF, maybe that would better be served if PF is the exclusive host of this material?

I agree. Your work is to the benefit of this heterogenous community and we should keep it here. I see arxiv as a repository for research paper drafts. Your notes are singular (in the sense that the material in them is nowhere else to be seen), so this part of research work is retained, but, unless you plan to sell this material to Springer Verlag, we would like to have it here. Indeed, a pdf with active links to your encyclopedic website would be ideal, as it would offer immediate, unlimited offline access to the contents. I told you, I plan to print them, study them and store them in my physical library alongside other teasures.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

dextercioby said:
I agree. Your work is to the benefit of this heterogenous community and we should keep it here.

Obviously we cherish our Insight authors and their unique contributions to our community. But just to be clear, our authorship guidelines do grant authors the freedom to publish elsewhere after publishing on PF. :smile:

Below definition 1.6 (bundles) it shows: [tex] fb_2 \circ f = fb_2 [/tex] and it should be [tex] fb_2 \circ f = fb_1[/tex]

Also in definition 1.7 (sections) it shows: [tex]fb \circ f = id_X[/tex] and it should be [tex]fb \circ s = id_X[/tex]

Likes Urs Schreiber
By the way Urs, I am just starting to review this fantastic series of yours on mathematically rigorous Relativistic Perturbative Quantum Field Theory, and I think it is one of the best things that has happened on physicsforums in a long time, so thank you dearly for that! ( and keep them coming! )

Likes weirdoguy and Urs Schreiber
mattt said:
By the way Urs, I am just starting to review this fantastic series of yours on mathematically rigorous Relativistic Perturbative Quantum Field Theory, and I think it is one of the best things that has happened on physicsforums in a long time,
Heh, great to hear. Maybe one day you can explain it in simpler terms to the rest of us rubes. :confused:

Related to Mathematical Quantum Field Theory - Geometry - Comments

1. What is Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

Mathematical Quantum Field Theory (MQFT) is a branch of mathematics that combines the principles of quantum mechanics and field theory to study the behavior of particles and fields at a microscopic level. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental interactions of particles and their underlying symmetries.

2. How does Geometry play a role in Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

Geometry plays a crucial role in MQFT as it provides a way to visualize and understand the complex mathematical structures involved. The geometric approach to MQFT involves using concepts from differential geometry, such as manifolds and tensors, to describe the behavior of fields and particles. This allows for a more intuitive understanding of the theory and has led to important developments in the field.

3. What are some applications of Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

MQFT has a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, including the study of elementary particles, quantum gravity, and cosmology. It is also used in condensed matter physics, where it has been successful in describing the behavior of complex systems such as superconductors and superfluids.

4. What are some current research topics in Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

Some current research topics in MQFT include the development of new mathematical tools and techniques to study non-perturbative effects in quantum field theories, the application of MQFT to cosmological models, and the study of topological phases of matter. Other areas of active research include the connection between MQFT and string theory, and the use of MQFT in the study of black holes.

5. What are some challenges in Mathematical Quantum Field Theory?

One of the main challenges in MQFT is the development of a consistent and complete mathematical framework for describing quantum field theories. This involves addressing issues such as the renormalization of divergent integrals and the mathematical definition of quantum field theories. Another challenge is the development of techniques to study non-perturbative effects, which are crucial for understanding phenomena such as confinement in quantum chromodynamics.