Mathematical Physics vs Applied Mathematics?

In summary: There's a lot of crossover between the two, and it's not always clear where one ends and the other begins.
WineRedPsy
(Sorry if these are the wrong forums)
All right, so, I know the difference between pure and applied mathematics as well as mathematical vs theoretical physics. But, I don't quite get the difference between mathematical physics and applied mathematics. Aren't they both working on mathematical methods? Is the former just a field of the latter? How does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Applied mathematics is typically defined as a branch of mathematics that deals with mathematical methods that are typically used in science, engineering, business, computer science, or industry. Historically, applied mathematics consisted principally of applied analysis (particularly differential equations and dynamical systems), approximation theory, and applied probability. More recently, areas of study like optimization, graph theory, information theory, computational complexity, and analysis of algorithms were often included within applied mathematics.

Typically, mathematical physics is often considered as a branch or subfield within applied mathematics, and depending on which department you're dealing with, statistics has at times been included under it as well.

Likes hamad12a and WineRedPsy
You could call mathematical physics a subset of applied math, but there are big parts of mathematical physics that have strong ties to what people would normally call "pure math", like topology. That sort of thing is what I studied as a topology student, although I my adviser was more on the topology side and more superficially into mathematical physics, so I was dragged into being more of a topology student, even though I wanted to be more of a mathematical physicist.

Mathematical physics is a very vague term, so it's best not to take it too seriously. I remember when was thinking about applying to UCLA for grad school, they said on their website that they consider mathematical physics as a branch of pure math inspired by problems in physics.

For that matter, the words "pure" and "applied" are idealizations.

Related to Mathematical Physics vs Applied Mathematics?

1. What is the difference between Mathematical Physics and Applied Mathematics?

Mathematical Physics focuses on using mathematical methods to study and explain physical phenomena, while Applied Mathematics uses mathematical techniques to solve real-world problems in various fields, including physics.

2. Can you provide examples of topics covered in Mathematical Physics and Applied Mathematics?

Examples of topics in Mathematical Physics include classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. Applied Mathematics covers a wide range of topics such as optimization, differential equations, and statistical analysis.

3. Is one field more theoretical while the other is more practical?

Mathematical Physics is more theoretical in nature and often involves developing new mathematical models and theories to explain physical phenomena. Applied Mathematics, on the other hand, focuses on using existing mathematical techniques to solve real-world problems and make predictions.

4. Do these two fields have different applications?

Yes, Mathematical Physics is primarily used in the study of physical systems and phenomena, while Applied Mathematics has a broader range of applications in various fields, including engineering, finance, and biology.

5. Is it possible for these two fields to overlap?

Yes, there is often overlap between Mathematical Physics and Applied Mathematics, especially in areas such as mathematical modeling and numerical analysis. Both fields also rely on each other to some extent, as advancements in one can lead to advancements in the other.