Mathematical physics textbooksuggestions please

In summary: I think it is the perfect mix of high school level problems and university level problems.In summary, as a high school student starting grade 11, you have been interested in physics since class 6 and have been studying advanced physics since then. You have also taught yourself calculus, trigonometry, higher algebra, and geometry alongside physics. You are looking for a good mathematical physics textbook and have received recommendations for "MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN PHYSICS SCIENCES" by Mary L Boas and "MATHEMATICAL METHODS FOR PHYSICISTS" by Arfken and Weber. You have completed courses from MIT OpenCourseWare in single-variable and multi-variable calculus. One suggestion is to start with "University Physics 12th Ed"
narayan.rocks
I am an high school student starting grade 11 this year . I have been interested in physics since class 6 and i have been studying advanced physics since then . IN grade 9 and 10 i have read and solved problems from Resnick ,Halliday and walker's book and completed it .
I thought myself calculus( integration , differentiation and solving differential equations and nothing more) , trigonometry , higher algebra and geometry side by side with physics .

I am looking for some good mathematical physics textbook . I want one that would teach me enough mathematics required for a physics undergraduate .
So i asked these professors at a local universities . One of them recommended
"MATHEMATICAL METHODS IN PHYSICS SCIENCES by Mary L Boas "
and the other professor thought " MATHEMATICAL METHODS FOR PHYSICISTS by Arfken , Weber" is better.
I looked up both books at Amazon and wondering which one to go for. Any suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
Arfken & Weber is level higher than Mary L Boas. Also better to complete AP Calculus BC course before starting Boas.

i have complete the following courses courses from MIT OpenCourseWare
18.01 Single-Variable Calculus and 18.02 Multi-variable Calculus along with their problem sets and exams

So which book do you recommend for me . I want to learn all math for a physics undergrad

When I was in Academic year 12 preparing for AP tests and IPhO, I was gone through this route firstly University Physics 12th Ed with Problem Solving Strategies.
After that Kleppnar Mech. Purcell E&M and Krane Modern Phy. and for Maths Lang Linear Algebra & Apostol Calculus.

So I recommend
1.For General Purpose Lang Linear Algebra & Apostol Calculus
2.For IPhO Lang Algebra 3rd Ed & Schaum's outline of Advanced Calculus (because IPhO requires the solution in Algebric Method than using Calculus. If you use Calculus they will give you 1/10)

thanks SnowLeopard .

Any more suggestions . I really want to know which one is better Arfken weber or Mary L boas

"Better" is a highly subjective term. I used Arfken/Weber for a class and I really didn't like it. It's more of a reference book than a learning book. The explanations are too brief properly learn the material.

Okay then please suggest some good learning books for learning all the math for undergrad physics

Boas is better imo at doing what it aims to do. It's a better upper division methods book than Arfken is a graduate one.

narayan.rocks said:
Okay then please suggest some good learning books for learning all the math for undergrad physics
Better to do Undergraduate Physics with Undergraduate Maths at same time rather than doing Mathematics for Undergrad Physics and again Mathematics for Graduate Physics.

narayan.rocks said:

Both of the books you mentioned in the OP contain only analysis and linear algebra. It is true that most of undergraduate physics uses this a fair bit, for example in wave physics and quantum mechanics. However, in electromegnetism you encounter your first inherently geometric physics, namely Maxwell's equations and special relativity.

In the long run, modern physics is based on geometry, specifically differential geometry. There is a great book called "The Geometry of Physics". The prerequisites are linear algebra and multivariable calculus. You should also know some physics to get a context for the math presented. I reccomend that you take a look at it.

Snow Leopard mentioned Kleppner's Mechanics..I liked this book a lot.

Related to Mathematical physics textbooksuggestions please

1. What are some popular mathematical physics textbooks?

Some popular mathematical physics textbooks include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, and "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig.

2. Are there any textbooks that cover both mathematical and theoretical physics?

Yes, there are several textbooks that cover both mathematical and theoretical physics, such as "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani.

3. Are there any textbooks that cater to beginners in mathematical physics?

Yes, there are several textbooks that cater to beginners in mathematical physics, such as "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas, and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber.

4. Are there any textbooks that focus on specific topics within mathematical physics?

Yes, there are many textbooks that focus on specific topics within mathematical physics, such as "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine, "Differential Forms in Mathematical Physics" by Gerd Baumann, and "Statistical Mechanics: Theory and Molecular Simulation" by Mark E. Tuckerman.

5. Are there any online resources for mathematical physics textbooks?

Yes, there are several online resources for mathematical physics textbooks, such as OpenStax, which offers free textbooks and resources for various topics in mathematical physics, and Project Gutenberg, which offers free e-books of older mathematical physics textbooks. Additionally, many universities have online libraries with electronic versions of textbooks that students can access for free.