Mathematical physics textbook with solutions in it?

In summary, a student is taking a mathematical physics course with a focus on abstract algebra. They are looking for a textbook for extra practice but are frustrated because the ones at their library do not have solutions. Some recommendations for books with solutions are The Theory of Groups and Its Application to Physical Problems by Bhagavantam and Venkatarayudu, Rowlatt's Group Theory and Elementary Particles, and abstract algebra books such as Artin's Abstract Algebra, Dummit and Foote's Abstract Algebra, Lang's Algebra, lecture notes by J.S. Milne, and graduate lecture notes by mathwonk.
xdrgnh
Hello I'm taking a mathematical physics course which has heavy emphasis on algebraic structures. The course has no required textbook but I want one anyway for extra practice. All of the books I see at my library all have no solutions in them which makes it frustrating because then I don't know if I got the question right. Anyone have any tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try http://www.its.caltech.edu/~sean/book.html by Sean Mauch of Caltech. It's HUGE and contains over 2000 pages of mathematical physics with exercises and solutions, though I don't think it contains anything on Algebraic Structures. Are you saying it's a math physics course with a focus on abstract algebra?

In that case, I would maybe recommend The Theory of Groups and Its Application to Physical Problems , an older book by Bhagavantam and Venkatarayudu, which you can find here.

You could also try:

Rowlatt - Group Theory and Elementary Particles

And if you're just looking for good abstract algebra books...

Artin - Abstract Algebra
Dummit and Foote - Abstract Algebra
Lang - Algebra or Undergraduate Algebra

Or these awesome lecture notes covering a ton of different aspects of abstract algebra by J. S. Milne, a mathematician from New Zealand.

Or graduate abstract algebra lecture notes by PhysicsForums's own mathwonk here.

Related to Mathematical physics textbook with solutions in it?

1. What topics are covered in this mathematical physics textbook?

The textbook covers a wide range of topics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and special relativity.

2. Are the solutions provided for all problems in the textbook?

Yes, the textbook includes solutions for all problems presented in the text. This allows students to check their work and better understand the material.

3. Is this textbook suitable for beginners in mathematical physics?

While some prior knowledge of calculus and basic physics principles is recommended, this textbook is designed to be accessible for beginners in mathematical physics. It provides clear explanations and step-by-step solutions to help students grasp the concepts.

4. Are there any supplemental materials included with the textbook?

Yes, the textbook includes additional resources such as practice problems, review questions, and online resources to further enhance the learning experience.

5. Is this textbook commonly used in university courses?

Yes, this textbook is commonly used in university courses on mathematical physics. It has been praised for its comprehensive coverage of topics and clear explanations, making it a popular choice among instructors.