Mathematical Physics. Path integrals

In summary, the author is looking for a formula for calculating gaussian functional integrals with the grassmannian variables. They also ask how to enter new styles in the workplace.
samirdz
Hello all
I need some special help concerning the path integrals and exactely about the techniques of Fradkin-Gitman and also the technique of Alexandrou et al., what's they're exactely about ?. (what does it mean here al. in "Alexandrou et al." ):smile:
Thank you very much for every valuable help of any kind
Bye

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, I'm gathering you're reading papers, so giving the full citation would be helpful. Where did you get these, and what are they doing?

To answer your easier question, "et al." is short for "et alia" which is Latin for "and others". So there's probably four or five authors on the paper and they didn't want to write them all out.

Has anyone read at 'Arxiv.org' the paper by "De-Witt Morette" recalling functional integration ?? i don't know if they at last introduce an acdequate measure for path integrals..also i have asked myself if there would be a possible method to evaluate them by infinite-dimensional MOntecarlo's method (without discretizying space-time) or using an analogue of Gaus quadrature formula with the infinite-dimensional analogue of Legendre Polynomials.

The idea si quite easy..Gaussian method used to evaluate:

[tex] \int_{-1}^{1} dx f(x) = \sum_{i} C_{i} f(x_i ) [/tex]

then we used "Gaussian quadrature" to evaluate the function at a certain chosen point so the error was the least possible.

When dealing with Path integrals this all becomes:

[tex] \int \mathcal D [f] F[f] =\sum_{i} C_{i} F[f_{i} (x)] [/tex]

in this case you use a certain functions f1, f2, f3 ,f4,... to evaluate the path integral, the main problem is what functions (in general) do you choose so the error in the functional integral above is minimum ??

Last edited:
gaussian functional integrals, Grassmannian

Hello
I need the formula for calculating the gaussian functional integrals with the grassmannian variables (gaussian with quadratic plus linear term).

Also, how to enter new styles in the scientific workplace ..

Related to Mathematical Physics. Path integrals

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a field of study that uses mathematical techniques and concepts to understand and explain physical phenomena. It involves using mathematical models, equations, and methods to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems.

2. What are path integrals in mathematical physics?

Path integrals are mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle moving from one point to another. They involve summing up all possible paths that a particle could take to reach its final destination, taking into account the effects of quantum uncertainty.

3. How are path integrals different from traditional integration methods?

Traditional integration methods involve calculating the area under a curve, while path integrals involve summing up all possible paths that a particle could take. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of quantum phenomena and has proven to be a powerful tool in theoretical physics.

4. What are some applications of path integrals in physics?

Path integrals have a wide range of applications in physics, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and field theory. They are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions, describe the behavior of subatomic particles, and model complex systems such as fluids and plasmas.

5. How are path integrals related to Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams are visual representations of path integrals, where each line represents a possible path that a particle could take. These diagrams are used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability of particle interactions and have been fundamental in the development of modern physics.