Mathematical Physics | Jobs, Research & More | Ask Here

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential career prospects for someone studying mathematical physics at a local university. The speaker is interested in scientific research, but not industrial research. They ask for clarification on the role of a mathematical physicist, which is described as a theoretical physicist who teaches and conducts research in their area of expertise. Both speakers seem to agree that this career path is appealing.
LENIN
I'm thinking of studying mathematical physics at my local university. But I'm no sure what kind of a job I could get with such a degree,. I'm interested mostly in scientific reasrch and stuf like that. I'm not really a major fan of industial reassrsh. So could somen pleas tell me what a mathematical physicist really does :confused: . I tried to get some info at the university but they didn't really gave me any.

Physics news on Phys.org
A mathematical physicst a.k.a. a theoretical physicist a.k.a. a theorist is an improved version of LAB RAT (a.k.a. experimentalist) ...HE IS A PAPER AND LAPTOP RAT.He teaches theoretical physics courses and in the remainder of time he reads and writes articles in his area of expertise...Not really dull,my view...

Daniel.

Well sounds qouit good to me :smile: .

To me too,which means (i thought i'd never say that :-p ) "LENIN,WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE!" :-p

Daniel.

Related to Mathematical Physics | Jobs, Research & More | Ask Here

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical methods and tools to study and explain physical phenomena. It involves the application of mathematical theories, models, and techniques to solve problems in various areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

2. What are the job opportunities for those with a degree in mathematical physics?

There are a variety of job opportunities for those with a degree in mathematical physics. Some common career paths include research positions in academia or industry, data analysis and modeling in fields such as finance or engineering, and teaching at the university level. Mathematical physicists may also work in fields such as computer science, astronomy, or biophysics.

3. What are the skills needed to excel in mathematical physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, successful mathematical physicists should possess critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a strong aptitude for abstract thinking. They should also have advanced computer skills, as well as the ability to communicate complex concepts effectively.

4. What are some current research topics in mathematical physics?

Some current research topics in mathematical physics include string theory, quantum gravity, and the mathematical foundations of quantum mechanics. Other areas of interest include the study of complex systems, statistical mechanics, and mathematical modeling of physical processes.

5. How can one get involved in the field of mathematical physics?

One can get involved in the field of mathematical physics by pursuing a degree in the subject at the undergraduate or graduate level. It is also beneficial to participate in research projects, attend conferences and workshops, and network with professionals in the field. Additionally, staying up-to-date with current research and developments is important for those interested in pursuing a career in mathematical physics.