Mathematical physics at UC Santa Barbara

In summary, the individual is planning to apply to graduate schools in mathematics for Fall 2009 and is considering UCSB. While the mathematics department at UCSB may not be as highly ranked as other departments, the university is well known for its work in theoretical physics and has professors with joint appointments in both departments. The individual is interested in mathematical physics and wants to know if they can benefit from this work as a mathematics graduate student. They are seeking opinions on the matter.
eok20
I will be applying to graduate schools in mathematics for Fall 2009. From what I've heard, the UCSB mathematics department is decent though not as good as some of the other mathematics departments I've been looking at (like Texas at Austin, Michigan, Illinois at UC, and University of Washington). However, my interest is in mathematical physics (i.e. QFT, relativity, the intersections between differential geometry and physics, representation theory, etc.) and I hear that UCSB is well known in theoretical physics and two professors have joint appointments with the mathematics and physics departments. Therefore I am wondering if as a mathematics graduate student (I wouldn't want to apply to the physics program because lots of the core physics courses do not interest me much whereas most of pure math appeals to me), I'll be able to take advantage of the breakthrough mathematical physics work being done there. Any opinions on the matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

You should ask someone at UCSB.

Related to Mathematical physics at UC Santa Barbara

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical tools and techniques to study and explain physical phenomena. It applies mathematical concepts such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations to understand and describe the laws of nature.

2. What makes UC Santa Barbara a good choice for studying mathematical physics?

UC Santa Barbara has a highly esteemed physics department, with renowned faculty members who are experts in the field of mathematical physics. The university also offers a wide range of courses and research opportunities in this field, providing students with a strong foundation and diverse perspectives in mathematical physics.

3. What career options are available for graduates with a degree in mathematical physics from UC Santa Barbara?

Graduates with a degree in mathematical physics from UC Santa Barbara can pursue careers in a variety of fields, such as research, academia, engineering, finance, and data science. They possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are highly sought after in many industries.

4. Are there any specific research areas in mathematical physics that UC Santa Barbara specializes in?

Yes, UC Santa Barbara has a strong research focus on several areas of mathematical physics, including quantum field theory, string theory, condensed matter physics, and mathematical modeling in biology. The university also has collaborations with other institutions and research centers, providing students with opportunities to work on cutting-edge projects.

5. Can students with a non-physics background pursue a degree in mathematical physics at UC Santa Barbara?

Yes, UC Santa Barbara offers undergraduate and graduate programs in mathematical physics that are open to students from various backgrounds. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and physics is preferred, and students may need to take additional courses to catch up on the necessary background knowledge.