Constantly Changing Gear Ratio

In summary, the concept of constantly changing gear ratios in cars, also known as a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), has been implemented in production cars and was previously used in F1 racing. However, it has some drawbacks such as being belt-driven, bulky and heavy. CVTs have been around for 120 years and currently, belt-driven CVTs are the only type being used in automobiles, although there have been some variations, such as using centrifugal force in bicycles.
BasketDaN
I have heard that this concept is already starting to be implimented in cars (constantly changing gear ratios), is this true?

Computer science news on Phys.org
it was done years ago by DAF, useing two pullies that expand or contract joined by a belt.

it was also tried in F1 but was banned

For googling purposes... this is commonly called a "Continuously Variable Transmission" or "CVT".

I believe that there are several production cars that use it. The gas/electric hybrids I think.

What became of it/ why is it not more popular?

Ahh I see, thanks. Does anybody know if this is the only way CVTs are currently made?

Originally posted by BasketDaN
Ahh I see, thanks. Does anybody know if this is the only way CVTs are currently made?

AFAIK, belt-driven CVT's are the only type being put in automobiles. However, I do recall seeing a bicycle that appearently used a CVT which employed centrifugal force on weights attached to the hub of the tires.

What is a constantly changing gear ratio?

A constantly changing gear ratio refers to a transmission system in which the gear ratio between the input and output shafts is continuously adjusted to optimize the performance of the engine.

How does a constantly changing gear ratio work?

A constantly changing gear ratio works by using a system of gears, clutches, and sensors to constantly monitor the speed and load of the engine. This information is used to adjust the gear ratio to provide the most efficient power transfer from the engine to the wheels.

What are the benefits of a constantly changing gear ratio?

The benefits of a constantly changing gear ratio include improved fuel efficiency, smoother acceleration, and better overall performance. It also allows for a wider range of gear ratios to be used, making the vehicle more versatile in different driving conditions.

What types of vehicles use a constantly changing gear ratio?

Constantly changing gear ratios can be found in a variety of vehicles, including hybrid cars, electric cars, and some high-performance sports cars. They are also commonly used in heavy-duty trucks and off-road vehicles.

Are there any drawbacks to a constantly changing gear ratio?

While constantly changing gear ratios offer many benefits, they can be more complex and expensive to design and maintain compared to traditional gear systems. In addition, they may require more frequent maintenance and repairs due to the increased number of components involved.