Mathematical Logic by Joseph R. Shoenfield

In summary, The book "Mathematical Logic" by Joseph R. Shoenfield is highly recommended as it is engaging and captivating. The conversation also mentions writing reviews on Amazon, with one person using the username "atheriasangel" and planning to change it to "honestrosewater." They also mention having written two reviews, one of which is private.
honestrosewater
Gold Member
"Mathematical Logic" by Joseph R. Shoenfield

I started reading this book an Amazon, and I can't stop. Has anyone else read it? Is there some reason I haven't seen anyone recommend it? -because it's absolutely amazing so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you ever write reviews for Amazon?

loseyourname said:
Do you ever write reviews for Amazon?
Once or twice. Why?

honestrosewater said:
Once or twice. Why?

So I can be on the lookout. What name do you use?

loseyourname said:
So I can be on the lookout. What name do you use?
I guess I'll start writing reviews then. (I had to check-) my username is atheriasangel, but I'll probably change it to honestrosewater. It says I wrote two reviews but one is "private" for some reason. I really should delete them- they're very bad.

Do you write reviews? If so, what name?

Last edited:

Related to Mathematical Logic by Joseph R. Shoenfield

1. What is Mathematical Logic?

Mathematical Logic is a branch of mathematics that studies the principles of mathematical reasoning and the foundations of mathematics. It uses formal systems to analyze and prove the validity of mathematical statements.

2. Who is Joseph R. Shoenfield?

Joseph R. Shoenfield (1923-1995) was an American mathematician and logician who made significant contributions to the field of Mathematical Logic. He is best known for his book "Mathematical Logic" which is considered a fundamental text in the subject.

3. What topics does "Mathematical Logic" cover?

"Mathematical Logic" by Joseph R. Shoenfield covers topics such as propositional logic, first-order logic, set theory, model theory, and computability theory. It also includes discussions on the foundations of mathematics and the philosophy of logic.

4. Is "Mathematical Logic" suitable for beginners?

No, "Mathematical Logic" by Joseph R. Shoenfield is not recommended for beginners as it assumes a strong background in mathematics and logic. It is better suited for advanced undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics, philosophy, and computer science.

5. What is the importance of studying Mathematical Logic?

Studying Mathematical Logic is important for several reasons. It helps in understanding the foundations of mathematics and the principles of mathematical reasoning. It is also useful in various fields such as computer science, linguistics, and philosophy. Additionally, it develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential in many areas of study and work.