Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mathematical Interests.

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Hello, members of MHB. The purpose of this post is mainly to know what interests you most in mathematics and / or on which mathematical branch do you research.

I am interested in... well everyone knows that : analytic number theory and theory of equations. My research area however is transcendental number theory and sextic equations. Many might think that transcendental number theory and theory of equation might not fit together but oh, they does! Hilbert's 13-th problem is one of my favorite problem that is a subtle mixture of both!

So, tell us about your interests and research. Any number theorist here? Topologist? Analyst? Ring theorist? Knot theorist? Hopf algebraist? Someone with odd links with disjoint interests like me?

ZaidAlyafey

MHB Math Helper
Jan 17, 2013
Good topic. I have many interests but I only count those I like the most. I like Special functions and the concepts relates such as analytic continuation. I am also interested in complex, real analysis and algebraic and general topology. Besides, I am interested in analytic number theory and Riemann hypothesis , though I never had time to read about them (Angry) . My field of research is higher order polylogarithms and associated double and triple Euler sums. Something clicked in my mind to consider solutions of polylogarithmic functions (interesting) (Sun) .

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
I like algebra, geometry and logic.

I am one of those fools who is so ambitious that thinks he can work in all these 3 fields together. And I will try. My MSc thesis will be about the links between logic and geometry, through category theory. What to do after that? I don't really know.

As Steve Jobs said, "Stay hungry. Stay foolish."

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Ha, my chat topics are rocking these days :p

Z, I believe your research and interests both have closure in some sense. You have chosen all of them correctly which I believe will help you in the future to concentrate on something particular.

ModusPonens said:
I am one of those fools who is so ambitious that thinks he can work in all these 3 fields together.
Welcome to the club. So, you are onto category theory, then? Interesting, let us know if you publish your thesis in ar$\chi$iv as preprint. It'd definitely be interesting to read.

Last edited:

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
As the name indicates, my research area is (or was – I'm retired now) operator algebras. I worked in all three of the main divisions of this subject (von Neumann algebras, C*-algebras, non-selfadjoint algebras), which is one of the most active branches of functional analysis and has applications in mathematical physics (quantum field theory, quantum statistical mechanics). My main claim to mathematical fame is that I once wrote a joint paper with Jacques Dixmier (Deux nouveaux facteurs de type $\scriptsize II_1$, Invent. Math. 7 (1969) 226–234). Dixmier was one of Paul Erdős's 511 co-authors, which means that my Erdős number is 2. I actually met Erdős at a conference in Cambridge in 1975 to celebrate J E Littlewood's 90th birthday.

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Wow! And there I am feeling proud with my Erdos number 4. :D

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I am not a typical mathematician because I am constantly moving between math and computer science / programming. Even though I appreciate a beautiful theory, after some point mathematics becomes too dry for me, and I am reaching for an application. My background is in mathematical logic, and specifically in proof theory. I am also interested in type theory (an extension of typed lambda-calculus) because lambda-terms are isomorphic to proofs. This fact is used to represent proofs in some programs called proof assistants / theorem provers, which currently are my biggest interest. In other words, I'd like to teach computers to understand mathematics, and ideally so that these explanations are as close as possible to paper proofs that mathematicians use to communicate with themselves. I am also interested in representation of mathematics in Wikipedia-like environments. My dream is to create a math textbook that can itself understand its topic and can explain it using various level of detail, up to axioms.

ModusPonens

Jun 26, 2012
As the name indicates, my research area is (or was – I'm retired now) operator algebras. I worked in all three of the main divisions of this subject (von Neumann algebras, C*-algebras, non-selfadjoint algebras), which is one of the most active branches of functional analysis and has applications in mathematical physics (quantum field theory, quantum statistical mechanics). My main claim to mathematical fame is that I once wrote a joint paper with Jacques Dixmier (Deux nouveaux facteurs de type $\scriptsize II_1$, Invent. Math. 7 (1969) 226–234). Dixmier was one of Paul Erdős's 511 co-authors, which means that my Erdős number is 2. I actually met Erdős at a conference in Cambridge in 1975 to celebrate J E Littlewood's 90th birthday.
I'm having an Erdös contact high. :D

That's very cool, having Erdös number 2. :)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
ModusPonens said:
That's very cool, having Erdös number 2.
Indeed. The real coolness here is that not everyone get to collaborate with E-1 persons, as the 511 collaborators of Erdos are not likely to survive indefinitely.

Marvin Kalngan

Jan 19, 2014
I like geometry and trigonometry. But overall I love math . . .