Building a Computer with TV Out: Anyone Tried It?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of video cards with TV out capabilities and how they appear on a standard TV. The conversation mentions the possibility of using TV out for watching DVDs or recording TV on a computer, and notes that the quality may vary depending on the TV's resolution. It also mentions that games and downloaded videos can look good on a TV through a video card.
The Grimmus
I am building a new computer and i was looking at video cards. They have tv out on them and i am wondering if anyone has ever used one, and how it looked on a standard tv.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by The Grimmus
I am building a new computer and i was looking at video cards. They have tv out on them and i am wondering if anyone has ever used one, and how it looked on a standard tv.
I have a laptop with TV out that I use to watch dvd's on a tv. It looks great. Many video cards (or separate add-in cards) also have tv tuners for watching and recording tv on your computer. Also a nice feature.

yes for dvds and downloaded videos there grovy but don't expect to be able to read text off ur tv

unless u have a hdtv, id suspect thos are capable of displaying text. but most tvs cant, they don't have enuf pixels like computer screens

ok, i have tv output on my graphics card and i have hooked it up to my tv quite a bit. using it on your desktop on your comp it looks very fuzzy like because of the resolution but like said dvd's look great. games also look quite good.

1. Can any TV be used for TV Out?

No, not all TVs have the necessary inputs to connect to a computer for TV Out. You will need to check your TV's specifications to see if it has VGA, HDMI, or DVI inputs.

2. What type of computer is best for TV Out?

Any computer with a compatible graphics card and the necessary outputs (VGA, HDMI, or DVI) can be used for TV Out. However, a dedicated graphics card will typically provide better performance and quality.

3. Do I need any special cables or adapters for TV Out?

Yes, you will need a cable or adapter that can connect the output of your computer (VGA, HDMI, or DVI) to the input of your TV. Make sure to check the specifications of both your computer and TV to ensure compatibility.

4. Is it difficult to set up TV Out on a computer?

It can vary depending on your computer and TV, but it is generally not a difficult process. You may need to adjust some settings on your computer and TV to get the best picture and sound quality.

5. Can I use TV Out to play video games on my TV?

Yes, TV Out can be used for gaming on your TV. However, the quality and performance may not be as good as playing on a dedicated gaming console. It is recommended to have a dedicated graphics card for optimal gaming experience.