Mathematical Induction am I on the right track?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof by induction that the sum of the terms in a sequence defined by ai = b+i*c is equal to (n+1)(a0 + an)/2. The conversation also includes a mistake in the definition of the predicate and a review of the steps needed to prove the statement.
tangibleLime

Homework Statement

The sequence a0 -> n is defined by ai = b+i*c. Prove by induction on n that the sum of the terms in the sequence is (n+1)(a0 + an)/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined predicate P(n) as (n+1)(a0+an)/2.

My goal is P(n+1), which is (n+2)(a0+an+1)/2. I believe I may have made a mistake here. For some reason I think it might be (n+2)(a0+an+an+1)/2, but I'm not sure.

So to prove P(n+1), I take P(n) and add the new term to it, (an+1).
P(n) + an+1
= ((n+1)(a0+an)/2) + (an+1)
= ((n+1)(a0+an) + 2(an+1))/2

Obviously what I got here is not visually equal to P(n+1), but maybe I'm missing something simplifying-wise? Or did I make a mistake somewhere?

And yes, I know I also have to test the base case, which I can do easily.

Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
tangibleLime said:

Homework Statement

The sequence a0 -> n is defined by ai = b+i*c. Prove by induction on n that the sum of the terms in the sequence is (n+1)(a0 + an)/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I defined predicate P(n) as (n+1)(a0+an)/2.
Well, this itself is incorrect. The "predicate" has to be a statement or an equation, not just an expression. Your predicate should be "The sum of the n terms in the sequence is [itex](n+1)(a_0+ a_n)/2[/itex].

My goal is P(n+1), which is (n+2)(a0+an+1)/2. I believe I may have made a mistake here. For some reason I think it might be (n+2)(a0+an+an+1)/2, but I'm not sure.
No, you were right the first time- although, again, P(n+1) should be the statement that the sum of n+1 terms is equal to that.

So to prove P(n+1), I take P(n) and add the new term to it, (an+1).
P(n) + an+1
= ((n+1)(a0+an)/2) + (an+1)
= ((n+1)(a0+an) + 2(an+1))/2

Obviously what I got here is not visually equal to P(n+1), but maybe I'm missing something simplifying-wise? Or did I make a mistake somewhere?
You haven't used the fact that [itex]a_i= b+ ic[/itex]!

Your predicate really is
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n b+ ic= (n+1)\frac{b+ (b+ nc)}{2}= (n+1)\frac{2b+ nc}{2}[/tex]

That's what you really want to prove.

And yes, I know I also have to test the base case, which I can do easily.

Any help would be appreciated!

Related to Mathematical Induction am I on the right track?

1. What is mathematical induction and how is it used?

Mathematical induction is a proof technique used to prove statements about mathematical objects that have an infinite number of elements, such as natural numbers. It involves proving a base case and then showing that if the statement is true for a specific element, it is also true for the next element. This process is repeated until the statement is proven to be true for all elements.

2. Why is mathematical induction considered a rigorous proof technique?

Mathematical induction is considered a rigorous proof technique because it requires a logical and step-by-step approach to prove a statement for all possible cases. It also relies on the assumption that if the statement is true for a specific element, it is also true for the next element, which is a fundamental principle of mathematical reasoning.

3. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that apply to all elements of a mathematical object, such as natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements about finite sets or continuous functions.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include assuming the statement is true for all elements without proving the base case, skipping steps in the inductive step, and using incorrect notation or terminology. It is important to carefully and clearly present each step of the proof to avoid these mistakes.

5. Are there any alternative proof techniques to mathematical induction?

Yes, there are alternative proof techniques such as direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. These techniques may be more suitable for certain types of statements or mathematical objects. It is important to choose the appropriate proof technique based on the statement being proved.