Mathematical Equation for my experimental data?

In summary: What's the problem?In summary, the conversation discusses testing the effects of different types and number of layers on heat release through conduction. The results showed a 50% reduction in heat release for 2 layers compared to 1 layer, and a 34% reduction for 3 layers compared to 2 layers. The goal is to create a mathematical model to predict future results, given that the graph shows an exponential trend. The suggested equation is q=(ka(t2-t1))/d, where "d" represents the thickness of the insulation. The speaker is unsure of how to proceed, but suggests using the exponential form and deriving the equation for each insulator from a program.
Coolguynice

Homework Statement

Okay so we're testing the effects different types and number of layers can have the heat released through conduction. in our results we found that the heat released was reduced by 50% for 2 layers compared to 1 layer and that the heat released was reduced to 34% for 3 layers as compared to 2 layer. How would you turn this into a mathematical model that can be used to predict future result? if it helps the graph shows a clear exponential trend.

Homework Equations

q=(ka(t2-t1))/d
so for example using felt for 1 layer we had 250.95j, for 2 layers we had 125.39 and for 3 layers 83.64 (in terms of heat released through conduction)

The Attempt at a Solution

im not exactly sure what to do but one idea i had was to derive the equation of each insulator from a program using the exponential form and roll with that but i would still like to know if there is a better or more correct method that i could help to explain in my assignment.
Any help would be greatly appreciated[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Coolguynice, Welcome to Physics Forums.

If you're looking to create a mathematical model then you'll need to be clear on the system being modeled.

Usually heat transfer depends upon the geometry of the setup, surface areas between regions of different material, and so forth. Can you describe the setup in more detail? How was the "heat released" determined?

Presumably "d" in you equation is the thickness of the insulation. Looks like you already have a mathematical model.

Related to Mathematical Equation for my experimental data?

1. What is a mathematical equation and why is it important for experimental data?

A mathematical equation is a representation of a relationship between different variables using symbols and mathematical operations. It allows us to quantify and analyze our experimental data, making it easier to draw conclusions and make predictions.

2. How do I create a mathematical equation for my experimental data?

To create a mathematical equation for your experimental data, you will need to first identify the variables and their relationship. This can be done through observation, experimentation, or theoretical knowledge. Once you have identified the variables, you can use mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to express their relationship.

3. Can I use any mathematical equation for my experimental data?

No, the mathematical equation used for your experimental data should accurately represent the relationship between the variables. It should also be appropriate for the type of data you are working with (e.g. linear, exponential, etc.). It is important to choose the right equation to ensure accurate analysis and predictions.

4. How do I know if my mathematical equation is accurate?

You can test the accuracy of your mathematical equation by comparing it to your experimental data. Plotting your equation on a graph and comparing it to your actual data points can help you determine if the equation accurately represents the relationship between the variables.

5. Can I modify my mathematical equation if my experimental data changes?

Yes, if your experimental data changes, you may need to modify your mathematical equation to accurately reflect the new relationship between the variables. This is a common practice in scientific research, as new data may lead to new insights and a better understanding of the phenomenon being studied.