Mathematical and physical concepts in nanoscience

In summary, this person is going to attend a masters program in micro and nano technology. They want to know what concepts of math and physics they should be clear at and some good textbooks for the same. They mention that after passing some math courses at the graduate level, they might never use the knowledge if they work in a practitioner's lab.
WolfgangPaul
Dear all,

I am going to attend masters program in micro and nano technology. I would like to know what concepts of maths and physics I should be clear at and some good textbooks for the same. My study module includes nanoscience, nanomaterials and nano electronic design.

Physics news on Phys.org
WolfgangPaul said:
I am going to attend masters program in micro and nano technology. I would like to know what concepts of maths and physics I should be clear at and some good textbooks for the same. My study module includes nanoscience, nanomaterials and nano electronic design.

I knew some people who had a college level of math and physics and earned a PhD in this discipline by producing a lot of data that came from following procedure - such as cleaning samples in HF, then processing them and doing simple averaging of results. Many times your advisor will already have in mind what you need to accomplish so no need to overthink things...

But if one would like to rise higher than a mere practitioner, the math/phys levels in this discipline (in a graduate school with more empirically minded faculty) are:

- physics: college level. B.Sc. is already too high. Understanding the Heisenberg's uncertainty principle or atomic physics is considered highly advanced in such disciplines. After all, they teach how to estimate packing/volume in unit cells in a crystal based on the volume of an atom which they consider dependent on its atomic number :smile: lol Most graduate courses you'll be through are at a practitioner's level - that is, procedures, methods and tools for characterization or crystal growth/deposition etc, cleaning of surfaces with sand blasting etc mundane things :smile:- math: College level with some chapters in Calculus - integrals, Fourier transforms, some ODEs and PDEs, functions extrema... nothing too fancy at all. You'll prob be required to pass 1-2 math courses at the graduate level, which I described above. Once you pass these, you might never use the knowledge if you work in a practitioner's lab (which is often the case in this field).

Books to prepare for this kind of math/phys level? I cannot suggest them, as I myself didn't dwell on that level much... But a suggestion: go to the website of Applied Physics Letters (which is in effect, largely a nanoscience/microelectronics journal :smile:) and check out the articles there. Many of them contain little math. (I'm sure some of them are highly mathematical) This will indicate the lowest levels of math / physics at which one can still produce highly regarded work in this field.

All the best in your studies. It can be an interesting field and land you a rewarding job in a microelectronics company.

Thanks a lot sunfire. I'll take a look at the applied physics letters.

Related to Mathematical and physical concepts in nanoscience

1. What is nanoscience?

Nanoscience is a field of science that deals with the study and manipulation of matter at the nanoscale, which is typically between 1 to 100 nanometers. It combines principles from physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering to understand and control the behavior of materials at the nanoscale.

2. What are some examples of mathematical concepts used in nanoscience?

Mathematical concepts such as calculus, geometry, and linear algebra are used in nanoscience to describe and model the behavior of materials at the nanoscale. These concepts are used to understand the structure, properties, and interactions of nanoparticles, as well as to design and control their behavior for various applications.

3. How are physical concepts important in nanoscience?

Physical concepts such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and surface science are crucial in nanoscience. They help us understand the fundamental behavior of matter at the nanoscale and how it differs from macroscopic materials. These concepts also guide the development of new technologies and applications in nanoscience.

4. What are some real-world applications of nanoscience?

Nanoscience has a wide range of applications in various fields, including medicine, energy, electronics, and materials science. Some examples include drug delivery systems, solar cells, nanoelectronics, and self-cleaning surfaces. Nanoscience also has potential for future developments in areas such as nanorobotics and nanomedicine.

5. What are the potential risks associated with nanoscience?

As with any emerging technology, there are potential risks associated with nanoscience. These include the potential toxicity of nanoparticles, the impact on the environment, and ethical concerns surrounding the use of nanotechnology. Extensive research is being conducted to address these risks and ensure the safe and responsible development of nanoscience.