Mathematical and conceptual prerequisites of thermodynamics

In summary, a biochemistry major who is entering their junior year should take mathematics classes necessary to be competent in thermodynamics and should also study elementary calculus and Statistics/Probability.
naele
I'm a biochemistry major entering my junior year. After completing the requisite general physics course, I found that I quite enjoyed it and I wanted to take more advanced physics classes. I've set aside my junior year to take math classes necessary to be competent when I take my university's thermodynamics sequence.

So my question is, what mathematics tools do I need to be competent in, as well as what foundational concepts are needed before entering a thermodynamics course?

Science news on Phys.org
The mathematics of thermodynamics isn't much more than differential calculus and algebra. Thermodynamics has a notoriously poor mathematical structure, which can cause students to get confused.

For an introductory thermodynamics course, there are not too many difficult concepts, besides entropy. As a biochemistry major, you may have encountered the free energy already; if so, you are further along than many of the physics students.

Fermi's book "thermodynamics" is a great introduction- and it's a Dover book, nice n' cheap. Also hit the school library for a intro the thermo book and browse through it.

It's better to study statistical physics which includes thermodynamics. The book by F. Reif, URL="https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070518009/?tag=pfamazon01-20 here[/URL] treats this subject in this way. It starts with statistical physics and thermodynamics is treated later on in the book as soon as the funbdamental concepts like entropy and temperature are defined. That's the most natural way to explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Count Iblis said:
It's better to study statistical physics which includes thermodynamics. The book by F. Reif, URL="https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070518009/?tag=pfamazon01-20 here[/URL] treats this subject in this way. It starts with statistical physics and thermodynamics is treated later on in the book as soon as the funbdamental concepts like entropy and temperature are defined. That's the most natural way to explain it.

Thanks for the replies. I took a look at the Reif book when I was in the library. Would you consider it useful to either take an appropriate statistics/probability class or get a book and study it on my own? If so, is there a classic text for this purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Andy Renick that elementary calculus is essentially all you need. Also I don't think you need to do statistics and probability separately. I think the only important idea from multivariable calculus that you need is that in general, the integral of a function is path dependent, and only certain functions have integrals that are path independent. In thermodynamics, the former correspond to processes like heating and doing work. The latter correspond to variables describing the state of the system such as energy and entropy.

I agree with Count Iblis that statistical physics is easier, and Reif is one of my favourite books. It's also good to learn thermodynamics the classical way, just to have another approach. I did find this material difficult until I learned statistical physics, but the logic of thermodynamics is beautiful. Our text was Castellan, which I think is clearly written.

Eric Poisson has good notes for thermodynamics as well as statistical physics:
http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/~poisson/research/notes.html

I also like Mehran Kardar's notes 8.333 notes very much, which are useful if one has read stuff at the level of Reif:
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/index.htm

Related to Mathematical and conceptual prerequisites of thermodynamics

1. What is the role of mathematics in understanding thermodynamics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in understanding thermodynamics as it provides the necessary tools for modeling and solving problems related to heat, energy, and work. Thermodynamics relies heavily on concepts from calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to describe the behavior of systems and their interactions with heat and energy.

2. What are the key concepts and principles that form the basis of thermodynamics?

The key concepts and principles of thermodynamics include energy, entropy, temperature, heat, and work. These concepts are used to describe the behavior of systems and how they exchange energy with their surroundings. The laws of thermodynamics, such as the conservation of energy and the increase of entropy, also form the fundamental principles of this field.

3. How does understanding the concepts of thermodynamics help in real-world applications?

Understanding the concepts of thermodynamics is crucial in various real-world applications, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It also plays a significant role in fields like chemistry, physics, and engineering, as it helps in the analysis and prediction of energy transformations and the behavior of complex systems.

4. What are the key mathematical equations used in thermodynamics?

The key mathematical equations used in thermodynamics include the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which describe the conservation of energy and the increase of entropy in a system. Other important equations include the ideal gas law, Carnot cycle, and the Clausius-Clapeyron equation, which are used to model and analyze specific thermodynamic processes and systems.

5. Are there any prerequisites for understanding thermodynamics?

Yes, there are prerequisites for understanding thermodynamics, including a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Familiarity with basic physics concepts, such as energy, work, and heat, is also essential. A conceptual understanding of thermodynamics is crucial, as it involves abstract concepts and principles that can be challenging to grasp without a solid foundation in mathematics and physics.