Mathematica vs gnuplot vs matplotlib (efficency)

In summary, the individual is currently working on a C program that involves a large 2d array that changes with time, resulting in a 3d array of about 700MB. They have been using Mathematica for visualization, but it is taking longer than the C part. They are considering using gnuplot or matplotlib for faster results, but would need to spend time learning how to manipulate the plots and imported arrays. They have been recommended to try gnuplot and can find relevant information online.
andresordonez
Hi, I'm currently working on a C program where I have a huge 2d array that changes with time, so in the end, what I have is a 3d array (double 25*24000*100) in a plain text file (about 700MB). I tried to import with Mathematica7 as a "Table" but after a long time (about 15 minutes) the kernel just quit (though it didn't crashed).

So far, I've been using C to perform the main task of my program so to speak, and I use Mathematica only to visualize the results (Import, Plot, AnimateList, etc). Usually the C part takes longer than the visualization part, but now it's the other way.

I would like to know if using gnuplot or matplotlib (python) is significantly faster than using mathematica for the kind of arrays I'm using. I've used both (gnuplot and python) to make simple plots, but I would have to spend some time learning how to make animations and manipulating the plots, besides manipulating the imported arrays.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I have been using gnuplot for drawing very huge datas as yours. When you learn, it is full of joy. You can find the relevant information through the net.

Related to Mathematica vs gnuplot vs matplotlib (efficency)

1. How do Mathematica, gnuplot, and matplotlib differ in terms of efficiency?

Mathematica, gnuplot, and matplotlib are all software programs used for data visualization and analysis. However, they differ in their underlying programming languages and algorithms, which can affect their efficiency in handling large datasets or complex calculations.

2. Which of these three software programs is the most efficient for creating 2D plots?

This largely depends on the specific needs of the user and the type of data being plotted. Mathematica is known for its fast and high-quality 2D plotting capabilities, while gnuplot has a wide range of customizable options for creating 2D plots. Matplotlib, on the other hand, may not be as efficient for creating 2D plots compared to the other two, but it is highly popular and widely used in the scientific community.

3. Can Mathematica, gnuplot, and matplotlib be used interchangeably for all types of data analysis?

While all three software programs have data analysis capabilities, they have different strengths and limitations. Mathematica is known for its wide range of mathematical functions and can handle complex symbolic calculations. Gnuplot is popular for its ability to create visualizations from large datasets, while matplotlib is highly customizable and can produce high-quality visualizations for various types of data.

4. Is one of these three software programs more efficient for creating 3D plots?

Again, this depends on the specific needs of the user and the type of data being plotted. Mathematica and gnuplot both have efficient 3D plotting capabilities, while matplotlib may not be as efficient for creating 3D plots compared to the other two.

5. Do Mathematica, gnuplot, and matplotlib have different learning curves in terms of efficiency?

All three software programs have their own unique learning curves, and it largely depends on the individual's familiarity with programming and data analysis. Mathematica may have a steeper learning curve due to its complex mathematical functions, while gnuplot and matplotlib may be more approachable for beginners.