Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[SOLVED] Mathematica/Matlab Tan[x] == 1/x

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
How can I tell Mathematica or Matlab to solve tan x = 1/x?

In Mathematica, I tried NSolve[Tan[x]==1/x,x] but I was told Mathematica can't do this.

I am trying to find the the first 10 positive values.

In Matlab, I tried
Code:
syms x
solve(tan(x) == 1/x)
I want to return the first 10 values. Matlab returned -263

Last edited:

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
How can I tell Mathematica or Matlab to solve tan x = 1/x?

In Mathematica, I tried NSolve[Tan[x]==1/x,x] but I was told Mathematica can't do this.

I am trying to find the the first 10 positive values.

In Matlab, I tried
Code:
syms x
solve(tan(x) == 1/x)
I want to return the first 10 values. Matlab returned -263
You can find the approximate values using a numerical method. Alternatively the values(accurate for two decimal places) can be found using the Desmos calculator. Click on the "points of interest" and you can find the points of intersection of the two graphs.

[graph]4hhttfxqvi[/graph]

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
You can find the approximate values using a numerical method. Alternatively the values(accurate for two decimal places) can be found using the Desmos calculator. Click on the "points of interest" and you can find the points of intersection of the two graphs.

[graph]4hhttfxqvi[/graph]
Isnt there a way for Matlab or Mathematica just to solve it numerical and spit out the the positive first 10 solutions?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Isnt there a way for Matlab or Mathematica just to solve it numerical and spit out the the positive first 10 solutions?
I don't know much about Matlab or Mathematica as I don't use them (I use Maxima). However you can implement numerical methods through both programs(such as >>this<<). To what accuracy do you expect the solutions?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
I don't know much about Matlab or Mathematica as I don't use them (I use Maxima). However you can implement numerical methods through both programs(such as >>this<<). To what accuracy do you expect the solutions?
Thanks but I don't understand Matlab that well to decipher that into what I need.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Thanks but I don't understand Matlab that well to decipher that into what I need.
If it helps, I can use Maxima to find the solutions to a given accuracy. To what accuracy do you want the solutions?

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
If it helps, I can use Maxima to find the solutions to a given accuracy. To what accuracy do you want the solutions?
A few decimal points.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
A few decimal points.
In that case I think Desmos will give you reasonably good approximations. I was thinking whether you want an accuracy that exceeds three decimal places. Here's the first ten,

0.86, 3.426, 6.437, 9.529, 12.645, 15.771, 18.902, 22.036, 25.172, 28.31

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
In that case I think Desmos will give you reasonably good approximations. I was thinking whether you want an accuracy that exceeds three decimal places. Here's the first ten,

0.86, 3.426, 6.437, 9.529, 12.645, 15.771, 18.902, 22.036, 25.172, 28.31
But how do we know when clicking near the intersection on Desmos if it is actually that location and not a little left or right?

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
But how do we know when clicking near the intersection on Desmos if it is actually that location and not a little left or right?
As I have indicated in my post #2 click on the "points of interest" in the menu bar. Then the points will be marked on the graph.