Mathematica/Graphing Question for Muon Lifetime Laboratory

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a histogram from data to show evidence of muon lifetime. The attached file contains counts from a detector for different bin sizes, with each bin size representing 20 ns. The person is asking for help using Mathematica to 1) create a scaled histogram of the events, 2) best fit an equation for exponential decay, and 3) create a log plot to determine the muon lifetime. They are seeking assistance from someone who is knowledgeable in Mathematica.
krishnas
Hi all, I'm trying to construct a histogram from my data to illustrate evidence of muon lifetime. Attached is a .txt file that contains counts from our detector that correspond to different bin sizes (lengths of time muons were counted in detector) from our experiment. The file is 1x500 (containing a verticle list of 500 events)

Each bin size is 20 ns. For example, the first entry corresponds to 0-20ns bin, the second 20-40ns, the third 40-60ns and so on.

Given this information, how would I do the following in mathematica?
1. constuct a scaled histogram of the events
2. Best fit an equation for exponential decay of the form y=A*EXP[-Bx] +C
3. create a log plot of the data giving a linear line and slope (giving muon lifetime).

I'm at a loss how to code for this, I know the reasoning behind everything but this seems like the easiest way to go about it(mathematica) and I am not well versed. Anyone have any insight??

Attachments

• hist_05212.txt
    1,000 bytes · Views: 443
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

Anyone with knowledge of mathmematica that can help?

Related to Mathematica/Graphing Question for Muon Lifetime Laboratory

1. How do I use Mathematica to graph data from a Muon Lifetime Laboratory experiment?

First, import the data into Mathematica using the Import function. Then, use the ListPlot function to create a graph of the data. You can customize the appearance of the graph by using options such as PlotStyle and PlotRange.

2. Can Mathematica be used to fit a curve to the data from the Muon Lifetime Laboratory?

Yes, Mathematica has built-in functions such as NonlinearModelFit and FindFit that can be used to fit a curve to the data. These functions allow you to specify the type of curve and the parameters to be fitted.

3. How can I calculate the uncertainty of my graphed data using Mathematica?

You can use the ErrorBar function in Mathematica to add error bars to your graph. These error bars can be based on the standard deviation or another measure of uncertainty provided in the data.

4. Is it possible to create a 3D graph of the data from the Muon Lifetime Laboratory using Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the ListPointPlot3D function to create a 3D graph of your data. You can also use additional options such as ColorFunction and PlotLegends to enhance the visualization of the data.

5. Can Mathematica be used to analyze the data from multiple experiments in the Muon Lifetime Laboratory?

Yes, you can use the Dataset function in Mathematica to organize and analyze data from multiple experiments. This allows you to easily compare and contrast data from different experiments and perform statistical analysis on the combined data set.