Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot?

In summary, Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot is a tool in the Mathematica software that allows users to create 3D plots of cylindrical functions and surfaces. To use this tool, users need to define the function or surface using cylindrical coordinates and use the CylindricalPlot3D function to input the function and desired ranges. Cylindrical plots use cylindrical coordinates, while rectangular plots use Cartesian coordinates. Cylindrical plots are useful for visualizing functions and surfaces with rotational symmetry, while rectangular plots are better for general functions and surfaces. Users can add labels and customize the appearance of their cylindrical plots using options in the CylindricalPlot3D function. Additionally, Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot can handle complex functions by plotting the
Credulous
I'm looking for a function to plot things in 3D using cylindrical coordinates but apparently Mathematica doesn't have one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Credulous said:
I'm looking for a function to plot things in 3D using cylindrical coordinates but apparently Mathematica doesn't have one?

Can you create a tensor transformation and use that to plot in your desired co-ordinate system?

Related to Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot?

What is Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot?

Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot is a tool in the Mathematica software that allows users to create 3D plots of cylindrical functions and surfaces.

How do I use Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot?

To use Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot, you need to first define the function or surface you want to plot using cylindrical coordinates. Then, use the CylindricalPlot3D function and input the function and desired ranges of the cylindrical coordinates.

What is the difference between cylindrical and rectangular plots?

Cylindrical plots use cylindrical coordinates, which are defined in terms of a radius, angle, and height. Rectangular plots use Cartesian coordinates, which are defined in terms of x, y, and z coordinates. Cylindrical plots are useful for visualizing functions and surfaces that have rotational symmetry, while rectangular plots are better for visualizing general functions and surfaces.

Can I add labels and customize the appearance of my cylindrical plot?

Yes, you can add labels and customize the appearance of your cylindrical plot using various options in the CylindricalPlot3D function. You can add labels for the axes, title, and legends, as well as change the colors, styles, and thickness of the plot.

Can Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot handle complex functions?

Yes, Mathematica: Cylindrical Plot can handle complex functions. You can input complex-valued functions into the CylindricalPlot3D function and it will plot the real part, imaginary part, or magnitude of the function.