Is There a Distinction Between Fact and Value?

• Thread starter RageSk8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the conversation is discussing the distinction between statements of fact and statements of value. While some argue that there is a clear difference between the two, others believe that values can be considered factual to the person who holds them. The conversation also touches on the idea of ethical objectivity and the importance of consensus in determining what is valued and what is considered a fact. Ultimately, the conversation highlights the complex relationship between fact and value and the difficulty in defining a clear distinction between the two.

Is there a difference between statements of facts and statements of values?

• Yes, of course.

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No, I am a pragmatist like you.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
That is a statement that is a little premature, in light of the presently acknowledged 'ignorance' of current status of 'things'.

All I said was that QM suggests these things. Therefore it provides a refutation of the classical western idea that paradox is unreal. That IS why it is called modern physics. You can claim its just a temporary misunderstanding, but the evidence accumulated over the last hundred years suggests otherwise. It suggests that the more extreme the perspective, the more obviously paradoxical it becomes.

It also suggests that people unwilling to accept this indeterminate state of affairs often have retarded progress in the area.

Physics news on Phys.org
Qm is of itself allright, but it is not an answer to everything, hence mypress to admission of the 'ignorance' that remains, as it might just be solved in the light of that knowledge.

But that,full knowledge, by itself, does not constitute proof, as that is subjectively decided.

Einstein himself stated that this was an illusion, just a very persistent one, I agree with that, and know why (to the best of my knowledge) he said it, as it is the manner of operation of light, and hence matter, for that matter!

Life does seem like a dream, all in ones head, after all.

Have FUN!

just wanted to kick this back up to the top for when Rage gets back to us.