Mathemathical pendulum with springs

In summary: For small angles,##\ddot{\varphi }+\frac{g}{l}\varphi +\frac{1}{l}\ddot{x}=0## and##\ddot{x}+\frac{2k}{m}x +l\ddot{\varphi }=0##
skrat

Homework Statement

A body with mass ##m## is hanged on a line with length ##l## and attached to springs in point ##p##. Point ##p## can move only horizontally. In equilibrium position, non of the springs is deformed. Now let's give that body just a little push out of equilibrium position. Calculate the frequency of oscillation.

sdf.JPG

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's put the origin of our coordinate system in point ##p## with ##\hat{i}## axis to right along the right spring and ##\hat{j}## axis pointed up.

Now the coordinate is fixed, while point ##p## can move along axis ##\hat{i}##. Let ##\vec{r} ## be vector from the origin to mass ##m## and let's say that ##\varphi ## is the angle between the line ##l## and vertical line.

Than ##\vec{r}=(lsin\varphi + x,lcos\varphi )## where ##x## is the expansion/shrinkage of springs or in other words: movement of point ##p##.

Than ##\dot{\vec{r}}=(\dot{\varphi }lcos\varphi+\dot{x},-l\dot{\varphi }sin\varphi)## and ##\dot{\vec{r}}^2=(\dot{\varphi }l)^2+2\dot{\varphi }l\dot{x}cos\varphi+\dot{x}^2##.

Now ##L=T-V=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{\vec{r}}^2-(-mglcos\varphi +kx^2)=(\dot{\varphi }l)^2+2\dot{\varphi }l\dot{x}cos\varphi+\dot{x}^2+mglcos\varphi -kx^2##

If that is ok, than

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial \varphi }-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\varphi }}=\ddot{\varphi }+\frac{g}{l}sin\varphi +\frac{\ddot{x}}{l}cos\varphi =0## and

##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x}-\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} t}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x }}=\ddot{x}+\frac{2k}{m}x+\ddot{\varphi }lcos\varphi -\dot{\varphi }^2lsin\varphi =0##

Hopefully so far everything is ok. Now I am lost here. I am somehow supposed to solve this system of differential equations yet I have no idea how. I tried applying Taylor expansion for small ##\varphi ## but that didn't really help much...

Some help, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor expanding for small [itex]\varphi[/itex] and [itex]\dot{\varphi}[/itex] helps enormously. Take the expansion up to linear order and you get a set of two coupled linear equations of motion which you can solve with standard methods, finding the eigensystem of solutions.

Yup, I figured it out yesterday late into the night...

For small angles:

##\ddot{\varphi }+\frac{g}{l}\varphi +\frac{1}{l}\ddot{x}=0## and

##\ddot{x}+\frac{2k}{m}x +l\ddot{\varphi }=0##

Now let's say that ##x=x_0e^{i\omega t}## and ##\varphi =\varphi _0e^{i\omega t}##. This gives me

##\begin{bmatrix}
-\omega ^2+\frac{g}{l} & -\omega ^2\\
-\omega ^2& -\omega^2 +\frac{2k}{m}
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
\varphi _0\\
x_0
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
0\\
\end{bmatrix}##

And finally ##\omega ^2=\frac{g/l}{1+\frac{mg}{2kl}}##

THANKS!

Hm, aren't there two resonance frequencies? You must have a solution with four free parameters, determined by the initial conditions [itex]x(0)=x_0[/itex], [itex]\dot{x}_0=v_0[/itex], [itex]\varphi(0)=\varphi_0[/itex], and [itex]\dot{\varphi}(0)=\Omega_0[/itex].

I don't know. I am not smart enough, that's why I am here learning. :D You tell me?

I do have some unofficial solutions for this problem and my solution is the same. That's all I know.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough when writing the problem: It says here that we grab the mass and pull it away from equilibrium position for small ##\varphi ## and than release it. Does this change anything?

Related to Mathemathical pendulum with springs

1. What is a mathematical pendulum with springs?

A mathematical pendulum with springs is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring and allowed to swing back and forth under the influence of gravity and the spring's restoring force.

2. What is the equation of motion for a mathematical pendulum with springs?

The equation of motion for a mathematical pendulum with springs is mx'' + kx = -mg, where m is the mass of the pendulum, x is the displacement from equilibrium, x'' is the second derivative of x with respect to time, k is the spring constant, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the period of a mathematical pendulum with springs?

The period of a mathematical pendulum with springs is affected by the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum, and the strength of the spring (represented by the spring constant).

4. How does the amplitude of a mathematical pendulum with springs affect its motion?

The amplitude of a mathematical pendulum with springs affects the maximum displacement of the pendulum from equilibrium. As the amplitude increases, the pendulum will take longer to complete a full swing, resulting in a longer period.

5. What is the difference between a simple pendulum and a mathematical pendulum with springs?

A simple pendulum consists of a mass attached to a string and allowed to swing freely, while a mathematical pendulum with springs includes the additional force of a spring. This results in a different equation of motion and a more complex motion for the pendulum.