How to Calculate Partial Pressures and Kp for Nitrogen Oxides Mixture?

• Thread starter poopflinger15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, gaseous oxides of nitrogen are equilibrium mixtures of nitrogen dioxide and dinitrogen tetroxide. Partial pressures of these gases can be calculated if the density and temperature of the mixture are known.
poopflinger15
Gaseous oxides of nitrogen rarely occur as pure substances, but as equilibrium mixtures of them. One of these equilibrium mixtures is nitrogen dioxide and dinitrogen tetroxide. If the density of such a mixture is 2.3 g/l at 74 degrees Celsius and 1.3 atm, calculate the partial pressures of the gasses and Kp for the dissociation of dinitogen tetroxide to nitrogen dioxide.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Let the volume be 1L Then total mass of the system will be

[tex]n_1*M + 2n_2*M = 2.3 g [/tex]
Where
n1 : no of mol of NO2
n1 : no of mol of N2O4
M : Molecular mass of NO2

Also PV=(n1+n2)RT

So u have two unknown and two equations u can find n1 & n2 from it And Hence Kp or partial pressure

Using PV=nRT, since you know P and T, you can solve for the solution in the form of moles per liter. For the rest of the problem we will assume a volume of one liter (it does not matter either way since it is only a matter of proportion). Since you have the grams pertaining to this situation you essentially have the "average molar mass of this situation." That is 2.3 grams/the total number of moles (which you are to figure out).

[molar mass of the nitrogen compound (grams/moles) X N1 (number of nitrogen compound)] + [molar mass of the dinitrogen compound (grams/moles) X N2 (number of the dinitrogen compound)]

all of this divided by 2

Solve for the proportion N1/N2, that is proportional to the moles.

Notice however, that the Kp equation for the reaction pertaining to the addition of the nitrogen to form the dinitrogen should have an exponent of 2 on the pressure of the nitrogen compound; we know that according to the stochiometric equation that there are two moles of the nitrogen compound for every dinitrogen compound.:

Kp = [partial pressure of dinitrogen compound p]/[partial pressure of nitrogen compound]^2

Note also that you will need to convert moles into pressure because of the presence of an exponent (with the assumption of 1 L as the volume, volume is insignificant information in this problem).

--------------
Online help with college and high school chemistry
http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing quite like a lungful of NO2 in the morning. It really gives your day a kick.

:wink:

1. What does "I with this chem question" mean?

"I with this chem question" is a phrase that is often used to express confusion or difficulty with a chemistry question. It implies that the person saying it is struggling to understand or find the answer to a specific chemistry problem.

2. How should I approach a challenging chemistry question?

The best way to approach a challenging chemistry question is to break it down into smaller parts and try to understand each part individually. You can also refer to your notes, textbook, or other resources for additional information and guidance. It may also be helpful to work with a study group or ask your teacher or professor for clarification.

3. Can you give an example of a chemistry question?

Sure, an example of a chemistry question could be: "What is the chemical formula for water?"

4. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry concepts?

To improve your understanding of chemistry concepts, it is important to consistently review and practice the material. You can also try to make connections between different concepts and apply them to real-world situations. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources, such as online tutorials or study guides.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand a chemistry question?

If you are still struggling to understand a chemistry question, don't be afraid to ask for help. You can reach out to your teacher or professor, a classmate, or a tutor for clarification and additional support. It is important to not get discouraged and keep working at it until you understand the concept.