Math riddle, eliminating 2 of 3 answers with limited info

• Thread starter reddragonguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of logarithms in solving a math problem involving a comparison between a number thought of by one person and a number written down by another person. The person answering the question provides a formula for determining the answer and explains that the "I don't know" result is due to the undefined nature of logarithms with a base of 1. The original asker expresses frustration and gratitude for the solution.
reddragonguy
remove wrong forum/problem solved though

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You may be thinking too hard.

Consider this: what if YOU, the person asking the question, were also thinking of a number or numbers in your head, and your question involves a COMPARISON between the number/numbers you're thinking of and the number the other person wrote down?69

You can ask "Is the logaritm of 10 with this number as a base is bigger then 3?". Answer will be
-yes if it is 2 (because log(10) by base 2 equals 3,32)
-no for 3 (log(10) by base 3 equals 2,1)
-I don't know for 1 (because log(10) by base 1 is undefined).

Trave11er said:
You can ask "Is the logaritm of 10 with this number as a base is bigger then 3?". Answer will be
-yes if it is 2 (because log(10) by base 2 equals 3,32)
-no for 3 (log(10) by base 3 equals 2,1)
-I don't know for 1 (because log(10) by base 1 is undefined).

Thanks so much, it has been frustrating me so much lol.

I never thought of using logs it's just something that I personally don't use in math that often.
I knew/felt like the "I don't know" had something to do with it, genius of you to get one of the results to undefined

Related to Math riddle, eliminating 2 of 3 answers with limited info

1. What is a "math riddle" that involves eliminating 2 out of 3 answers with limited information?

A math riddle is a puzzle or problem that requires mathematical reasoning to solve. In this particular type of math riddle, you are given three possible answers to a question, but only limited information to help you determine which two choices are incorrect.

2. How do you approach solving a math riddle that involves eliminating 2 out of 3 answers?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the question. Then, use the limited information provided to eliminate one of the three choices. Next, try to find a pattern or logic that can help you eliminate the second incorrect choice. Finally, use your mathematical skills and reasoning to determine the correct answer among the remaining choice.

3. What are some strategies for eliminating answers in a math riddle?

Some strategies for eliminating answers include using the process of elimination, looking for patterns or relationships between the given information and the choices, and using logical reasoning and critical thinking.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should eliminate the answers in a math riddle?

There is no specific order, as it will depend on the individual riddle. However, it is generally recommended to first eliminate the answer that you are most confident is incorrect, and then focus on the remaining two choices.

5. Can I use outside resources to help me solve a math riddle that involves eliminating answers?

It is best to try to solve the riddle on your own before seeking outside resources. However, if you are stuck, you can use resources such as a calculator or search engine to help you with calculations or finding patterns. Just be sure to properly cite any sources used.