Math Research Project Ideas Please

In summary, I am having trouble choosing a topic for my math research project. Anybody have any ideas they'd like to share?
Nile Anderson
Help. I am having a problem choosing a topic for my math research project. Anybody have any ideas they'd like to share ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you provide some more details?

Such as the level of math you are currently at (high school level, university level etc.).

How extensive a research project?

Do you need to find a research gap or just provide further/additional ideas into pre-existing concepts?

Joppy said:
Can you provide some more details?

Such as the level of math you are currently at (high school level, university level etc.).

How extensive a research project?

Do you need to find a research gap or just provide further/additional ideas into pre-existing concepts?
Thank you for the response. I am currently doing an advanced level of Mathematics at High School. Possibly the name , "research" project is a bit misleading , It is a project in which I must apply some mathematical concept to a real life situation. Take for instance , a swimming pool , one could use calculus to determine the rate at which it is filled based on other related rates, but something a bit more elaborate than that, something more useful.

You really need to learn to give sufficient details. The more you can say about you and your project, the better.

For example, I still I have no idea what mathematics you know and what you don't. An "advanced level of mathematics" is pretty meaningless. When I was in high school, we studied projective geometry, is that something you know? Integration? Multiple integration? Proofs? Matrices? Etc.

Does the project require you to learn some new theory of mathematics? Would you enjoy a project that requires this?

You're really not going to get any answer from us if you're not going to give a very comprehensive idea about you, your mathematical training, your mathematical preferences and the project.

micromass said:
You really need to learn to give sufficient details. The more you can say about you and your project, the better.

For example, I still I have no idea what mathematics you know and what you don't. An "advanced level of mathematics" is pretty meaningless. When I was in high school, we studied projective geometry, is that something you know? Integration? Multiple integration? Proofs? Matrices? Etc.

Does the project require you to learn some new theory of mathematics? Would you enjoy a project that requires this?

You're really not going to get any answer from us if you're not going to give a very comprehensive idea about you, your mathematical training, your mathematical preferences and the project.
Well according to my pure mathematics syllabus , thus far I know all of the following :
Basic Algebra and Functions
Trigonometry and Plane Geometry
Calculus I and II
Sequences, Series and Approximations
Counting, Matrices and Complex Numbers
I should know all of this , but no means a reflection of all I know.
To give an idea of the scope of the project , I once did and Optimization Calculation to optimise the dimensions of a cake tin so less material could be used, but to be honest , I doubt this is very practical, so I wanted something more so , if even still optimisation, somewhere where it would actually make a "practical" difference.

Ok, now we have an idea of what sort of math you are comfortable with. But still lacking some assessment criteria in my opinion.

Have you been given an assessment sheet of some sort? Or have the criteria been discussed verbally, and it's up to you to choose how you want to tackle the problem?

Joppy said:
Ok, now we have an idea of what sort of math you are comfortable with. But still lacking some assessment criteria in my opinion.

Have you been given an assessment sheet of some sort? Or have the criteria been discussed verbally, and it's up to you to choose how you want to tackle the problem?
upload_2016-3-28_22-1-9.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-28_22-0-45.png
    upload_2016-3-28_22-0-45.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 458
Joppy said:

upload_2016-3-28_22-3-18.png

upload_2016-3-28_22-4-48.png
Mark Scheme
upload_2016-3-28_22-6-14.png
upload_2016-3-28_22-6-54.png

Outside of the above sir , it is up to me how I want to tackle the problem.

Related to Math Research Project Ideas Please

1. What are some examples of math research project ideas?

Some examples of math research project ideas could include exploring the properties and applications of fractals, investigating the mathematics behind cryptography and data encryption, analyzing the patterns and relationships in prime numbers, studying the mathematical principles of chaos theory, or examining the connections between music and mathematics.

2. How do I choose a suitable math research project idea?

When choosing a math research project idea, it is important to consider your interests, strengths, and the level of complexity you are comfortable with. You may also want to consult with your teacher or mentor for suggestions or guidance. Additionally, researching current trends and advancements in the field of mathematics can help inspire potential project ideas.

3. Do I need any special equipment or software for a math research project?

The equipment and software needed for a math research project will depend on the specific topic and approach you choose. Some projects may require specialized mathematical software or programming languages, while others may only need basic tools such as a calculator, graph paper, or a computer with internet access. It is important to plan and prepare accordingly to ensure you have the necessary resources for your project.

4. How can I present my math research project findings?

There are various ways to present your math research project findings, such as a written report, a poster presentation, a slideshow presentation, or a video presentation. You may also consider creating interactive visualizations or simulations to help illustrate your findings. The best approach will depend on the nature of your project and the audience you are presenting to.

5. Can I collaborate with others on a math research project?

Yes, collaborating with others on a math research project can be beneficial as it allows for a diversity of ideas and perspectives. You can work together with classmates, teachers, or even reach out to experts in the field for guidance and support. Be sure to clearly define roles and responsibilities and communicate effectively to ensure a successful collaboration.