Math Query: Troubleshooting \mathcal{\Tau_1}

In summary, the conversation is about using the capital tau symbol in a post, but encountering an error when typing \mathcal{\Tau_1}. The suggestion is to use either the caligraphic T or mathscr T instead, as they are essentially the same symbol. It is also noted that the lowercase tau has a slightly different appearance in mathjax.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
In a recent post I wanted to use a capital tau ... and so typed \mathcal{ \Tau_1 } but generated an error ...

Can someone please help ... ...
I wanted the capital tau symbol as in the following text ...
View attachment 9619
Hope someone can help ...

Peter

Attachments

• Singh - Start of Sectio 1.4 ... .png
    Singh - Start of Sectio 1.4 ... .png
    27 KB · Views: 80
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Capital Tau is just a T.
Mathjax doesn't have a caligraphic Tau, but the caligraphic T is the same thing: $\mathcal{T(S)}$.
Alternatively we can consider mathscr T: $\mathscr{T(S)}$.

I think that the T in your text is just a caligraphic T. It is just rendered slightly differently.
Note that a lowercase tau actually has its bottom curve in the opposite direction
View attachment 9620
although this is hardly visible in the mathjax version ($\tau$).

Attachments

• tau-symbol.png
    tau-symbol.png
    868 bytes · Views: 81
Try mathcal{T}, which gives $\displaystyle \mathcal{T}$.

Related to Math Query: Troubleshooting \mathcal{\Tau_1}

1. What does "mathcal" mean in the context of this query?

"mathcal" is a LaTeX command that is used to format mathematical symbols or letters in a "calligraphic" font. In this query, it is used to format the symbol Tau (τ) in a particular way.

2. What is the purpose of troubleshooting this math query?

The purpose of troubleshooting this math query is to identify and fix any errors or issues that may be present in the mathematical equation represented by \mathcal{\Tau_1}. This could include incorrect symbols, syntax errors, or other mathematical mistakes.

3. How can I troubleshoot this math query?

To troubleshoot this math query, you can start by checking the syntax of the equation and ensuring that all symbols are used correctly. You can also try breaking down the equation into smaller parts and solving each part individually to identify where the issue may lie. Additionally, referencing mathematical resources or consulting with a math expert can also help in troubleshooting.

4. What are some common errors that could occur in this math query?

Some common errors that could occur in this math query include using incorrect symbols, using incorrect mathematical notation, missing parentheses or brackets, and incorrect mathematical calculations.

5. Can I use any other font for the symbol Tau (τ) instead of the calligraphic font in this math query?

Yes, you can use other fonts for the symbol Tau (τ) in this math query. However, the choice of font may depend on the specific context or purpose of the equation. It is important to ensure consistency and clarity in the notation used throughout the equation.