Math Ph.D., physics masters, don't want to do academia. Suggestions?

In summary, the individual is a math PhD and physics master's degree holder interested in pursuing a career outside of academia. They are considering investment banking but have no background in finance. One suggestion is to take financial mathematics exams and relocate to a financial center. Other options mentioned include pursuing a career in software development or statistics, which may be more suitable given the individual's mathematical background.
AxiomOfChoice
It seems that being an academic requires you to be able to come up with interesting and unique ideas for attacking interesting problems, and I simply don't think that's a skill I possess. But I'll soon have a math Ph.D. in mathematical physics (and a physics masters' degree) from a large state technical university, and I was wondering...what other options do I have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Investment banking

Hercuflea said:
Investment banking

Cool. Sounds exciting. Does anyone have any advice for how I should proceed with that? I mean...I don't know a damn thing about finance...

AxiomOfChoice said:
Cool. Sounds exciting. Does anyone have any advice for how I should proceed with that? I mean...I don't know a damn thing about finance...

You being from a heavily mathematical background would find finance easy. I took one semester of it when I was an Econ major and it was mind numbing. However I believe it gets much more interesting as you become a professional. I would recommend that you take the financial mathematics exams (pretty easy for you because of your background, you'd just need to learn basic finance concepts). http://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/edu-exam-fm-detail.aspx

After that it's really just a matter of finding a job. From what I've heard there are plenty of people in finance/investments that did science and technical degree programs in college. Although, it might require you to relocate to a financial center like New York or London.

To the OP:

How much programming or software experience do you have? Because one option you could pursue with a math PhD is work in software development, particularly in those areas related to scientific computing/numerical analysis.

Another option you can consider is pursuing a career in statistics. There is an increasing demand in various different businesses (including pharmaceuticals, marketing firms, insurance, etc.) for someone with skills in statistical analysis or data analytics, and your background in math can put you in good stead for such roles.

Related to Math Ph.D., physics masters, don't want to do academia. Suggestions?

1. What other career options are available for someone with a Math Ph.D. and a physics masters who does not want to pursue academia?

There are many career paths open to individuals with advanced degrees in mathematics and physics. Some options include working in industry as a data scientist, financial analyst, or software engineer. Other possibilities include working for government agencies, research laboratories, or consulting firms.

2. How can I leverage my advanced degrees in math and physics for a non-academic career?

One way to leverage your degrees is by highlighting your strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Employers in various industries value these skills and seek candidates with backgrounds in math and physics. Additionally, you can gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or part-time jobs in your field of interest.

3. What skills should I focus on developing if I want to pursue a non-academic career?

In addition to your technical knowledge in math and physics, it is important to develop skills in communication, teamwork, and project management. These soft skills are highly sought after by employers and can help you succeed in a non-academic career. Additionally, gaining experience in coding, data analysis, and programming can also be beneficial.

4. How can I network and connect with professionals in non-academic fields?

Networking is crucial for exploring and securing non-academic career opportunities. You can start by reaching out to alumni from your university who are working in your desired field. Attend career fairs, conferences, and professional events to expand your network. Utilize online platforms like LinkedIn to connect with professionals in your field of interest.

5. Are there any resources available to help me transition into a non-academic career?

Yes, there are many resources available to help individuals with advanced degrees transition into non-academic careers. Your university's career center may offer workshops, job fairs, and career counseling services. Additionally, there are online resources and job boards specifically geared towards STEM professionals, such as the American Physical Society and the Mathematical Association of America. You can also seek advice from professionals in your network or join professional organizations to gain insights and guidance.