Math or physics: which of that shoul I pursue?

• Math
  • Thread starter obafgkm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the individual is a high school student who is torn between their interest in mathematics and physics. They prefer natural proofs in math and enjoy seeing how concepts are built up in physics. They have other interests as well but are unsure about pursuing research in either field. They are advised to consider starting college as a double major in math and physics and not worry about research at this stage in their education.
obafgkm
Hello,

I am a high school student that will enter the university in a year. I am really worried with the choice I have to do.

I am very interested in math and doing proofs, especially in geometry. But I only like those proofs that seem "natural". This doesn't mean simple proofs, just those that don't require a magic substitution/construction/lemma that comes from nowhere and magically does the proof. I don't like number theory, I see a bunch of difficult theorems that don't say any interesting (for me, it's only my opinion). It's totally different with geometry, or even combinactorics. Seeing how a function works also is fine (I loved the parts of Spivak's Calculus that I've read).

On the other side I am also very interested in physics. I love to see how the concepts are built up, and the equations emerging naturally. I like mechanics very much, and also thermodynamics, the balance of energy, etc. I like astronomy, with some restrictions. Don't like observation or data analysis (I had some contact with data analysis in the astronomy olympiads and found it BORING). I like celestial mechanics, how one can derive from one simple equation a bunch of laws that describe the orbits.

So I simply don't know what I do. I am always oscillating between the math and the physics. During some weeks I study math and lack interest in physics but after those weeks I begin to like physics again and find pure math too abstract. While I like math and physics very much, I don't think I have a truly passion for them, to spend all my free time studying and thinking. I have other interests as well, like politics, philosophy, music, books, games, all that stuff.

And I feel very fear if I can do well on research. As I am in high school I've never worked on any research project, and I do pretty bad in math olympiads. How do I do to know if I am suited for research or not?

Hope tou can help guide me!

Physics news on Phys.org
obafgkm, your description seems consistant with a strong interest in Physics. Just realize that there is a difference between studying Mathematics as a subject and using Mathematics as a tool. You are too underdeveloped and still immature to know for sure what you will study for a major field; you will have clearer decisions about that in one or two years through your college education. Much of mathematical proving is not so natural as you like to find it and your feeling about this may change. A good possible beginning choice is to start college as both Mathematics and Physics major student. Also realize that other fields rely on Mathematics & Physics: Engineering(gigantic diverse "field"), Chemistry, Geology.

Your fear of research is premature. Searching for and studying background information(journal articles, other publications) is probably the most frustrating part. Some part in your studies, you will likely be asked to perform one or more independant projects from a selection each of which is expected to be 3 to 4 weeks in length. Such assignments are meant as intermediary steps at gaining a sense of conducting research. Just do not worry now about how you will deal with research. The time is too early.

I understand the difficulty of choosing between two subjects that you are passionate about. Math and physics are both fascinating fields with endless possibilities for exploration and discovery. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your interests, strengths, and goals.

From your description, it seems like you have a strong interest in both math and physics, but in different aspects. You enjoy the natural and logical approach of math, particularly in geometry and combinatorics, while you appreciate the conceptual and theoretical nature of physics, especially in mechanics and thermodynamics. It is important to note that both fields require a strong foundation in mathematics, so you will have the opportunity to explore both subjects regardless of your ultimate choice.

It is also perfectly normal to oscillate between interests, especially at your age. You are still exploring and discovering your passions, and it is okay to have multiple interests. However, if you are looking to pursue a career in either math or physics, it may be beneficial to focus on one subject in order to develop a deeper understanding and expertise. This does not mean you have to completely abandon the other subject, but rather find ways to incorporate it into your studies.

Regarding research, it is difficult to determine if you are suited for it without actually trying it. However, as a high school student, you have plenty of time to gain research experience through internships, summer programs, or even independent projects. This will give you a better understanding of what research entails and if it is something you would like to pursue in the future. Additionally, participating in math or physics olympiads can also help develop your problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential for research.

In the end, the decision between math and physics should be based on your interests and goals. Both subjects offer exciting opportunities for research and discovery, so choose the one that resonates with you the most. Remember, it is okay to have multiple interests and to explore different paths before deciding on a career. Good luck on your journey!

Related to Math or physics: which of that shoul I pursue?

1. Should I pursue math or physics as a career?

It ultimately depends on your interests and strengths. Both fields offer diverse career opportunities and require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Consider researching and exploring both subjects to see which one resonates with you more.

2. Which subject is more difficult to study, math or physics?

Both subjects have their own challenges and can be difficult for different reasons. Math can be more abstract and require a strong grasp of complex concepts, while physics involves applying mathematical principles to real-world problems. It is important to have a strong foundation in both subjects to succeed.

3. Can I study both math and physics simultaneously?

Yes, it is common for students to study both subjects simultaneously, as they are closely related and complement each other. However, it may require a heavier course load and strong time management skills.

4. What career opportunities are available for those who study math or physics?

Both math and physics offer a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, data analysis, research, and academia. It is important to research specific career paths and industries to see which one aligns with your interests and goals.

5. Is there a difference between studying math and physics at the undergraduate and graduate level?

At the undergraduate level, math and physics courses tend to cover basic principles and theories. At the graduate level, students typically focus on a specific subfield and conduct research. Additionally, graduate programs in physics often require a strong background in math, so it is important to have a solid understanding of both subjects.