Math Myth: Reducing an equation

• I
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, @fresh_42 discusses the common mistake of assuming that if ab = ac, then b = c. This is often taught in school, but it is incorrect and can lead to errors. @fresh_42 explains the proper way to approach this problem by avoiding divisions and checking for the possibility that a = 0. Additionally, @fresh_42 clarifies that 0 is not part of multiplication, but rather belongs to addition. The underlying idea is to consider whether the mapping given by left multiplication with a is injective, which can be more easily understood through a diagram.
From @fresh_42's Insight
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/10-math-things-we-all-learnt-wrong-at-school/

Please discuss!

This time I'm hopefully in accordance with teachers. The standard procedure is

$$ab=ac \;\Longrightarrow \;b=c$$

It is not only sloppy, it is even wrong sometimes, and belongs to the standard mistakes in class. If we all would take the time and write it down more carefully, this could really avoid the mistake: \begin{align*}ab=ac \;\Longrightarrow \;ab-ac=0\;\Longrightarrow \;a\cdot (b-c)=0\;\Longrightarrow \;a=0\quad\text{ or }\quad b=c\end{align*}

The second possibility is all of a sudden evident. The advice behind it is simple: avoid divisions as long as you can. And if, make sure you are allowed to.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The "avoid division" advice is one I began following very early in my programming career. Unless the denominator is known to be well clear of zero (for example, the constant pi), it needs to be checked. And if the check fails, you need to figure out what the computer should do next.

It seems to be some circular argumentation with your other point:
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/10-math-things-we-all-learnt-wrong-at-school/ said:
#3. You cannot divide by ##0##.

[...] ##0## hasn't the least to do with multiplication and even less with division. The question to divide by ##0## doesn't even arise! The neutral element for multiplication is ##1,## not ##0##. That belongs to addition. [...]
So, do we consider ##0## as part of multiplication or not?

jack action said:
It seems to be some circular argumentation with your other point:

So, do we consider ##0## as part of multiplication or not?
Division needs a group, multiplication only a ring.

The implication here of ##ab = ac \implies ab-ac =0## seems to assume we are in a ring not a (semi?)group but never states anything about groups vs rings, so I found this a touch problematic.

In both cases the underlying idea is to consider whether the mapping given by left multiplication with ##a## is injective.

I think the core of this can be conveyed to early school kids with a diagram-- in particular why you can't "undo" multiplication by zero because it maps multiple elements (presumably in ##\mathbb Q## or some other ring that isn't the zero ring) to zero. In particular multiplication by 0 maps 0 to 0 and 1 to 0.

Related to Math Myth: Reducing an equation

1. What is the "Math Myth" of reducing an equation?

The "Math Myth" of reducing an equation is the belief that the ultimate goal of solving a math problem is to reduce it to its simplest form or most basic equation. This is often seen as a shortcut or a way to make the problem easier, but it is not always necessary or even possible.

2. Is reducing an equation always necessary?

No, reducing an equation is not always necessary. In fact, there are many situations where reducing an equation may not be possible or may not provide any useful information. It is important to understand the purpose and context of the problem before deciding whether or not to reduce the equation.

3. Can reducing an equation change the solution?

Yes, reducing an equation can change the solution. This is because reducing an equation involves simplifying or manipulating the original equation, which can alter the values of the variables and ultimately change the solution. It is important to be careful and check the validity of the solution after reducing an equation.

4. Are there any benefits to reducing an equation?

Yes, there can be benefits to reducing an equation. In some cases, reducing an equation can make it easier to solve or provide a more concise and elegant solution. It can also help to identify patterns or relationships between variables that may not have been apparent in the original equation.

5. When should I reduce an equation?

You should consider reducing an equation when it is necessary for the specific problem you are trying to solve. If the problem requires a simplified or basic equation, then reducing may be necessary. However, if the problem can be solved without reducing the equation, it may be more efficient to leave it in its original form.