Math Logic Book (Introduction Prop)

• Thread starter Galadirith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Logic
In summary, the speaker is looking for a book on introductory Mathematical Logic that covers first-order and propositional logic, but not sets or number theory. They have a background in math and are not currently in university. They have found a suggested book, but are open to other suggestions and value the opinions of others. Two suggestions given are "Language, Proof, and Logic" by Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy and "Logic: Techniques of Formal Reasoning" by Donald Kalish.
Galadirith
Hi guys, I have searched the forums but I don't think what I really would like to ask is covered :D. I would really like to find a book for self study on introductory Mathematical Logic, I am not really looking for anything covering Sets Or Number theory (unless of course the text is really really good :D) but really just want to learn the real basics, first-order, propositional.

I ve just finished my A-Levels (so I think that equivical to high school in the US) and very happy and competent with my maths, so it doesn't need to be for an person with no knowledge of maths, that said I am not at Uni atm, and oviously havnt started and havnt ever taken a logci class as I have never had it avilable to me :D

I had found this book suggested Mathematical Logic by Kleene, I had a look at the content page and it actally seems pretty good what I would want, I think part I would be all that I would read for now, but in time read the rest. I had seen other text going into more depth + sets etc but atm I am really not looking for anything incredible heavy. I would love it to have some exercises as well to practise my new found skills :D, but its not an absolute must, pehpas there's even a dedicated exercise book for propositional/first-order logic that someone can sugest.

I would really appreciate anyone oppinions as I allway value the voices of PF :D thanks guys

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest "Language, Proof, and Logic" by Jon Barwise and John Etchemendy.

Thanks so much for the suggestion JustSam, Ill give that a go :D

I would suggest Donald Kalish's "Logic: Techniques of Formal Reasoning." This text, for myself, taught me not only the fundamentals of first-order logic (including propositional calculus with quantifiers and descriptives, first-order proof and automated proof procedures) but also teaches one to prove theorems formally and rigorously. It serves as a fantastic introduction to formal mathematics, axiomatic logic, and philosophical reasoning.

Related to Math Logic Book (Introduction Prop)

1. What is Math Logic?

Math logic is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the rules and principles of reasoning and deduction. It involves the study of mathematical statements and their connections through logical operations.

2. What is the purpose of a Math Logic Book?

The purpose of a Math Logic Book is to introduce readers to the fundamental principles and techniques of mathematical logic. It aims to develop critical thinking skills and provide a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts.

3. What topics are typically covered in an Introduction to Propositional Logic?

An Introduction to Propositional Logic typically covers topics such as propositional connectives, truth tables, logical equivalence, and proof techniques. It may also touch on topics such as sets, functions, and relations.

4. Is prior knowledge of mathematics required for understanding a Math Logic Book?

It is helpful to have a basic understanding of mathematical concepts, such as algebra and set theory, but it is not necessary to have a deep knowledge of mathematics to understand a Math Logic Book. The book will introduce and explain all necessary concepts.

5. How can studying Math Logic be beneficial?

Studying Math Logic can improve critical thinking skills, as well as provide a foundation for understanding other branches of mathematics such as abstract algebra and computer science. It can also enhance problem-solving abilities and improve logical reasoning.