Math in Real World: Solving Linear Equations

• Algebra
  • Thread starter Milkandcarrots
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Real world
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding resources and tips for understanding and applying math concepts, specifically linear equations, in real world scenarios. The person asking for help has been struggling with understanding formulas and manipulating them correctly. They have already done some practice problems and found a helpful website, but are looking for additional input and approaches. They express their hope that with more exposure, they will eventually grasp the concepts.
Milkandcarrots
Hello all,
does anyone know of any math books, websites or just some plain tips to help with imaging using math in the real world(word problems). I need help understanding applications of linear equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you done any research or did you just come here hoping we'd do it for you?

phinds said:
Have you done any research or did you just come here hoping we'd do it for you?
Figured someone might know something I didn't. I have been doing practice problems and getting them wrong and see the process for the right answer. Yet I still do not understand some methods. I don't understand the formulas they come up. Mainly when I am manipulating a formula it doesn't end up the same, or completely lost with the wording. I have done a simple Google search and foundhttp://catalog.flatworldknowledge.com/bookhub/reader/128?e=fwk-redden-ch02_s05 pretty helpful. Looking for some extra input and possibly a different way to approach these problems. Anything is helpful.:smile:
I am sure with some repetitive exposure I will start to get it.

(still working on using the site)

Related to Math in Real World: Solving Linear Equations

1. What are linear equations?

Linear equations are mathematical expressions that involve a variable, typically represented by x, and a constant. The goal is to find the value of the variable that makes the equation true.

2. How are linear equations used in the real world?

Linear equations are used to solve real-world problems, such as determining the cost of a product based on the number of units sold, calculating the distance between two points, or predicting future trends in data.

3. What are the steps to solve a linear equation?

The first step is to isolate the variable on one side of the equation by using inverse operations. Then, simplify both sides of the equation to get a numerical answer for the variable. Finally, check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation to make sure it is correct.

4. Can linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, linear equations can have one, infinite, or no solutions. If the equation has one solution, it represents the point where the equation's line intersects with the x-axis. If there are infinite solutions, the equation represents a line that overlaps with the x-axis. If there are no solutions, the equation represents parallel lines.

5. How can solving linear equations help in decision making?

Solving linear equations can help in decision making by providing a quantitative analysis of a situation. By finding the value of the variable, you can determine the most cost-effective option, predict future trends, or make informed decisions based on data analysis.