Chem: if u can do this u = genius

In summary, the student is having a problem with chemistry and wants help. They are testing the different ratios of copper and carbonate in test tubes. They determine the chemical formula for copper carbonate by analyzing the ratios of the elements in the new solid and new liquid that formed.
gotzmlk
Hi, I am having a huge problem with chem. i do not know what the heck is going on so can i have some help.

Drops of each chemical into test tubes
==================================================
===================
ratios Ca:CO
test tube1: 0:24
test tube2: 1:5
test tube3: 1:2
test tube4: 1:1
test tube5: 2:1
test tube6: 5:1
test tube7: 24:0
===================

Determining Chemical Formulas I
11. Based on valence, what do you think is the correct chemical formula for calcium carbonate?
CaCO3

12. Do your experimental results for the chemical formula for calcium carbonate agree with your chemical formula in question #11?

13. What is the name of the new solid formed in the reaction?
Salt

14. What is the name of the new liquid formed in the reaction?

15. Write the name of each of the compounds below the chemical equation, which shows what reaction, took place:

CaCl2 + Na2CO3 à 2 NaCl

_____________ _________________ __________________

16. If the correct formula for calcium carbonate had been Ca2CO3, which test tube would have contained the greatest amount of precipitate?

17. If the correct formula for calcium carbonate had been Ca(CO3)5, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

18. If the correct formula for calcium carbonate had been Ca(CO3)2, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

19. How could you experimentally determine the correct chemical formula for the new liquid formed?

20. How were the rations of calcium and carbonate determined?

Drops of each chemical into test tubes
===================
ratios: Cu:OH
test tube1: O:24
test tube2: 1:5
test tube3: 1:2
test tube4: 1:1
test tube5: 2:1
test tube6: 5:1
test tube 7: 24:0
===================

Determining Chemical Formulas II
1. List the elements and the number of atoms of each element in one molecule of copper sulfate?

2. How many different elements are in one molecule of copper sulfate?

3. How many total atoms are in one molecule of copper sulfate

4. What is the symbol and valence for copper II?

5. What is the formula and valence for sulfate?

6. List the elements and the number of atoms of each element in one molecule of sodium hydroxide?

7. How many different elements are in one molecule of sodium hydroxide?

8. How many total atoms are in once molecule of sodium hydroxide?

9. What is the symbol and valence for sodium?

10. What is the formula and valence for hydroxide?

11. Based in valence, what do you think is the correct chemical formula for copper hydroxide?

12. Do your experimental results for the chemical formula for copper hydroxide agree with your chemical formula in question #11?

13. What is the name of the new solid formed in the reaction?

14. What is the name of the new liquid formed in the reaction?

15. Write the name of each of the compounds below the chemical equation, which shows what reaction, took place:

CuCO4 + 2 NaOH à Na2SO4

16. If the correct formulae for calcium carbonate had been CuOH, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

17. If the correct formulae for calcium carbonate had been Cu2OH, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

18. If the correct formulae for calcium carbonate had been Cu(OH)5, which test tube would have contained the greats amount of precipitate?

19. How could you experimentally determine the chemical formula for the new liquid formed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you honestly want someone to fill out your lab report for you?

This is a homework help forum,

not a "Do my homework for me" forum

here here enigma!

Oh I can do these problems in my sleep. I'm not going to though. It's not fair to the students who didn't procrastinate and not pay attention in class.

Seriously gotzmlk

You may have figured that we aren't going to help you here. I suggest reading your textbook, class notes, study guides and the like.

As Chemicalsuperfreak said, he can do it in his sleep implying that they aren't that hard!

I suggest trying to do at least some of the work and then come back to the forum with REAL problems.

I'd love to help you (refresh my own memory) but you're missing lots of information.

11. CaCO3

12. not enough information

13. Putting "salt" will for sure get you a 0. The term salt is so generic that it's like saying the result is "organic" or "inorganic". The new solid formed is called "calcium carbonate".

14. not enough information (what did you mix together in the first place?)

15. calcium chloride + sodium carbonate = sodium chloride + calcium carbonate

16. test tube 5

17. test tube 2

18. test tube 3

19. there is no liquid formed. to verify this, you could do something like a gas chromatograph or run it through a spectrometer.

20. do you mean ratios?

1. this question is not specific enough. there are 2 different ions for copper.

2. Cu, S, O = 3

3. since the copper ion is not specified, there is more than 1 answer.

4. i couldn't even find the answer on google

5. dunno

6. sodium, oxygen, hydrogen; one of each

7. 3

8. 3

9. dunno

10. dunno

11. copper 2 is more common so i'll say Cu(OH)2

12. sure they do

13. what are you mixing?

14. again, what are you mixing?

15. (just a guess) copper percarbonate + sodium hydroxide = sodium sulfate (conservation of mass?)

That's all for now. superfreak, what are the answers to those valence onces? I never did get the hang of naming orbitals.

Last edited:
as previously mentioned, please don't expect anyone in this world to do your homework for you, tedious, boring, and insulting to your genius as it may be. if you have a puzzleing problem that involves real thinking, then I am sure one person who likes to be flattered as a genius would be glad to help.

still, its ok, u spent as much time copying and pasting ur homework as we did replying. just watch out next time for what you're asking.

1. What is the definition of chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is a branch of science that explores the composition, structure, and behavior of substances.

2. How does chemistry relate to other sciences?

Chemistry is often referred to as the "central science" because it connects and overlaps with other sciences such as biology, physics, geology, and environmental science. It provides a foundation for understanding the world around us and allows us to explain and predict natural phenomena.

3. What are the main branches of chemistry?

There are five main branches of chemistry: organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. Each branch focuses on a different aspect of chemistry, from the study of carbon-based compounds to the analysis of chemical reactions and processes in living organisms.

4. Can anyone become a chemistry genius?

Yes, anyone can become a chemistry genius with dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning. While some people may have a natural knack for understanding and applying chemistry concepts, it is ultimately a subject that can be learned and mastered with practice and effort.

5. What are some everyday applications of chemistry?

Chemistry has countless practical applications in our daily lives. For example, it is used in the production of medicines, food and beverage processing, cosmetics, cleaning products, and fuel. It also plays a crucial role in environmental and industrial processes, such as waste management and pollution control.