Calculating Objects Floatation Height

• Thread starter eightwgt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with calculating the height an object will float in saltwater and is confused about how to factor in weight and displacement for a partially submerged object. They are redesigning a submersible and want to make sure it floats at the desired height on the surface. They mention that the weight of the object should be compared to the weight of water displaced and use the example of a boat to illustrate this concept.
eightwgt
Hello everyone I need help with a calculation.

I want to determine the height an object will float in saltwater. After running the 'basic' displacement calcs I am not getting the results I need - not accurately enough anyway.
I know that the water displaced by an object equals its weight, but I am confused as to a partially submerged object. Since the weight / displace ment are equal, and an object in the water weighs less than on air- how do you calculate this as far as a formula ?
:confused: I am working on redesigning a submersible - and trying to figure where its going to float because I need to get it floating higher on the surface and trying to figure it all out - based on a picture I saw of a simular sub floating much higher than I thought it would I think I am designing the surface ballast tanks to low, and too large perhaps...

Thanks everyone...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
No, take the ordinary weight of the object. Compare that with the weight of water displaced. Think of a boat. The total weight of the boat equals the weight of water displaced. The volume of water displaced is the volume of the boat below the water line.

1. How do you calculate the floatation height of an object?

To calculate the floatation height of an object, you first need to know the density of the object and the density of the fluid it is immersed in. Then, you can use the formula: floatation height = (object density/fluid density) x object height. This will give you the height at which the object will float in the fluid.

2. How does the shape of an object affect its floatation height?

The shape of an object does not directly affect its floatation height. However, the shape can indirectly affect the density of the object, which then affects its floatation height. An object with a larger volume will displace more fluid, making it less dense and causing it to float higher.

3. Can the temperature of the fluid affect the floatation height of an object?

Yes, the temperature of the fluid can affect the floatation height of an object. As the temperature increases, the density of the fluid decreases, causing the object to float higher. Similarly, a decrease in temperature will result in a higher fluid density and a lower floatation height for the object.

4. Do all objects have a floatation height?

No, not all objects have a floatation height. An object will only have a floatation height if its density is less than the density of the fluid it is placed in. If the object's density is greater than the fluid's density, it will sink to the bottom of the fluid.

5. How can calculating an object's floatation height be useful?

Calculating an object's floatation height can be useful in understanding its behavior in a fluid and determining its stability. It can also help in designing and building objects that need to float or be submerged to a certain depth. Additionally, it is an important concept in the study of buoyancy and fluid mechanics.