Math final review: counting problems

In summary: This is a combination question as you are selecting options from different groups (convertible/hardtop, colors, accessory packages).
nickar1172
Can somebody please give me a heads up on if I solved these two problems correctly, I appreciate it, thank you!

d) In setting up a new department, a corporation executive must select a manager from among 4 applicant, 3 clerks from among 9 applicants, and 2 secretaries from among 7 applicants. In how many ways can these positions be staffed

I got 1C4 x 9C3 x 7C2 = 7056

e) A customer can purchase a sports car in either the convertible or hardtop model, in any of 6 colors, and with any of three accessory packages. How many options are open to the purchaser?

I got 2! x 3! x 6! = 8640

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Math FINAL review

nickar1172 said:
Can somebody please give me a heads up on if I solved these two problems correctly, I appreciate it, thank you!

d) In setting up a new department, a corporation executive must select a manager from among 4 applicant, 3 clerks from among 9 applicants, and 2 secretaries from among 7 applicants. In how many ways can these positions be staffed

I got 1C4 x 9C3 x 7C2 = 7056

e) A customer can purchase a sports car in either the convertible or hardtop model, in any of 6 colors, and with any of three accessory packages. How many options are open to the purchaser?

I got 2! x 3! x 6! = 8640

Hi nickar1172, :)

I agree with your first answer, except for one typo I think you made. Instead of "1C4" it should be "4C1". The result seems correct though.

As for the second question, I don't see why the factorials are needed in each space. The car can be "any of 6 colors", not all 6 colors. So there are 6 options for colors, not 6! options as I see it. Same thing for the other two qualities.

What do you get now?

Jameson said:
Hi nickar1172, :)

I agree with your first answer, except for one typo I think you made. Instead of "1C4" it should be "4C1". The result seems correct though.

As for the second question, I don't see why the factorials are needed in each space. The car can be "any of 6 colors", not all 6 colors. So there are 6 options for colors, not 6! options as I see it. Same thing for the other two qualities.

What do you get now?

I'm lost on e) I got it wrong on the quiz and tried to redo it but I guess that answer is still wrong would you mind posting how to solve / get the solution please? Also what type of question it is

nickar1172 said:
I'm lost on e) I got it wrong on the quiz and tried to redo it but I guess that answer is still wrong would you mind posting how to solve / get the solution please? Also what type of question it is

You were close, but you need to drop the factorials. The answer is $2 \times 3 \times 6$ as there are 2 options for the first choice, 3 for the second and 6 for the third.

I cannot give a definitive answer on whether or not your solutions are correct without seeing your work and knowing the specific problem set. However, your solutions appear to be using the correct formulas for counting problems. In problem d), you correctly used the combination formula (nCr) to determine the number of ways to select managers, clerks, and secretaries from their respective applicant pools. In problem e), you correctly used the factorial (n!) formula to determine the number of options for the sports car. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure you are using the correct formulas for each problem. Good luck on your final review!

Related to Math final review: counting problems

1. What are counting problems in math?

Counting problems in math refer to mathematical questions or scenarios that involve finding the number of possible outcomes or combinations. These problems are often solved using techniques such as permutations, combinations, and the multiplication principle.

2. How do I approach solving counting problems?

The first step in solving a counting problem is to clearly define what is being counted. Then, you must identify which counting technique is most appropriate for the problem, such as permutations for ordered arrangements or combinations for unordered selections. Finally, apply the chosen technique to find the total number of possible outcomes.

3. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the number of ways to arrange a set of objects in a specific order, while combinations refer to the number of ways to select a subset of objects without regard to order. For example, the permutation of the letters "ABC" would include "ABC", "ACB", and "BAC", while the combination would only include "ABC".

4. How can I determine if a problem requires the use of the multiplication principle?

The multiplication principle, also known as the fundamental counting principle, is used when the outcomes of one event are independent of the outcomes of another event. This means that the outcomes of each event do not affect the outcomes of the other events. If a problem involves multiple events with independent outcomes, then the multiplication principle can be applied.

5. Are there any shortcuts for solving counting problems?

Yes, there are some common shortcuts that can be used for certain types of counting problems. For example, the "n choose r" formula can be used for combinations, and the "n!" formula can be used for permutations. It is important to understand the concepts behind these shortcuts and when they can be applied.