Math Degree: Bridging the Gap and Understanding Calculus

In summary, the speakers have a strong background in calculus but feel their understanding of proofs and abstract mathematics is lacking. They discuss potential resources for self-study, including "Bridge to Abstract Mathematics," "An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning," "Reading, Writing, and Proving," "A Transition to Advanced Mathematics," and "Set Theory and Metric Spaces."
bonfire09
Well I've taken calculus 1-3 all up to differential equations and its been quite easy. Though I forgot most of the stuff already. I am going to be taking upper division math but I feel that my math background is still very weak because all I ever did was computations.I never understood why It works. I mean I tried to prove it but I never got it. I know that I have gaps. Anyone recommend any books or what should I do to close these gaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe try and do the proofs and when you get stuck talk to your professor

yeah I tried. I am thinking of using a book called Bridge to Abstract Mathematics by Morash as a guide for self study but idk if I am on the right track.

I like An Introduction To Mathematical Reasoning by Peter Eccles.

bonfire09 said:
yeah I tried. I am thinking of using a book called Bridge to Abstract Mathematics by Morash as a guide for self study but idk if I am on the right track.

Looks like the right track to me. I think I might even seen this book before...from what I remember it had sections on how to write formal proofs by proving basic concepts a student having only encountered calculus might recognize.

I recommend "Reading, Writing, and Proving" by Daepp and Gorkin, and "A Transition to Advanced Mathematics" by Smith, Eggen, and St. Andre. Though not as general, "Set Theory and Metric Spaces" by Irving Kaplansky is a beautiful little book that was my first exposure to abstract mathematics.

Related to Math Degree: Bridging the Gap and Understanding Calculus

1. What is the purpose of a math degree?

A math degree provides students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts, problem-solving skills, and analytical thinking. It also prepares students for careers in fields such as finance, engineering, computer science, and research.

2. How does a math degree bridge the gap in understanding calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that is often considered challenging and intimidating. A math degree helps students develop a strong understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and other foundational math concepts which are essential for understanding calculus. In addition, math courses in a degree program gradually increase in difficulty, providing students with the necessary skills and knowledge to tackle calculus.

3. Can a math degree prepare me for a career in a non-math related field?

Yes, a math degree equips students with transferable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, which are highly valued in many industries. It also demonstrates to employers that you have the ability to learn complex concepts and have a strong work ethic.

4. What are the career options for someone with a math degree?

Some common career paths for math degree graduates include data analyst, actuary, mathematician, statistician, and financial analyst. However, the skills gained from a math degree are applicable in many other fields, such as business, healthcare, and technology.

5. Is a math degree only for those who excel in math?

No, a math degree is not just for those who excel in math. While it certainly helps to have a strong foundation in math, many universities offer support and resources to help students who may struggle with certain concepts. With hard work and dedication, anyone can earn a math degree and pursue a career in a math-related field.