Questions about Quantum Physics: Advice Needed

In summary, there are several different terms used to describe the study of quantum mechanics, including quantum physics, quantum theory, and quantum mechanics. It is recommended to start with popular books on the subject before delving into textbooks. A basic understanding of math and physics is necessary for a thorough understanding of quantum mechanics. Using a laser as a source for a Young's experiment is recommended over a cathode ray for better results.
SeveredNebula223
I have a few questions about quantum physics.

First, what is the difference between quantum physics, quantum theory, quantum mechanics, etc?

Secondly, I have absolutely no clue about quantum physics. I talked with a friend of mine about it and it seems like something that I would like to research. However, I have no idea where to start. Could anyone here point me to some basic literature (preferably books) that I could read to get me started? I might also need a little extra prepping because I am only 15 and I only have Algebra. Could anyone give me a starting point (other than telling me to wait for college :P)?

Also, does anyone have any information about the credibility of a Dr. David Hawkins (sp?) I believe his books are about quantum physics, such as Power vs. Force and another I can't remember.

Any help is greatly appreciated! And I am a very curious person, so expect me to have a lot more questions soon! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing at all?

Yeah, it can be a bit overwhelming as you've probably noticed by now, I'll tell you this before you start - don't plan to understand it overnight, because it just downright strange. I am 16, and I recently got into this stuff so I'll see if I can help.

1) First you need to understand what quantum means. Quantum means small - the study of the very small - elementary level, the study of the very smallest of matter. Quantum theory is what began this mess of study, Einstein in essence "invented" the quantum theory, with contributions from many other scientists. Quantum mechanics is more related to the formulas which describe quantum mechanics, and quantum physics is just...the field of studying quantum theory. Dont worry about the words too much.

2) I don't know where your from, but in Canada, we have libraries and book stores throughout our cities, the first thing you need to do is either buy, or borrow a book on this stuff. If you are not too skilled in math yet, id recommend any of the books by Brian Greene. There are also many articles on the internet about quantum mechanics, but at this section of physicsforums.com, you will probably understand 1% of the posts...start simple man.

Anyway, good luck, I am also trying to quantum theory, and its tough work, but strangely rewarding as it starts to become less confusing.

-Mark

Quantum does not mean "small." Quantum means "unit," as in, the smallest possible discrete bit of something, like energy or charge. There are many macroscopic (large) systems that display quantum-mechanical effects: superfluidity and superconductivity are the two most common.

Both quantum physics and quantum theory are umbrella terms to describe any quantized physical theory, including quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, quantum chromodynamics, and so on.

Quantum mechanics is a superset of classical mechanics, which describes the position, velocity, and momentum of particles as affected by forces.

If you want an easy book to begin learning about some quantum mechanics, try something like John Gribbin's "In Search of Schrodinger's Cat." I'd stay away from Hawking, because he tends to discuss general relativity and gravity more than quantum mechanics.

Once you've grappled with some of the qualitative features of quantum theory by reading such a book, you might want to consider picking up a real quantum mechanics textbook. There are a number of threads here on pf about the best introductory quantum mechanics texts; my favorite is that by Griffiths. You will need quite a bit more mathematics than real algebra to understand quantum mechanics, unfortunately: you'll need vector and complex analysis, as well as quite a bit of calculus.

- Warren

You will want to start with some popular accounts of quantum mechanics/physics/theory (which are all basically the same thing by the way).

"In Search of Schroedinger's Cat" and "Schroedinger's Kittens" by John Gribbin are very good. He also wrote a shorter book called "Quantum Physics" more recently. A recent collection of popular articles by experts is available in "Quantum: A guide for the perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili. Finally, I recommend the New Scientist guide to the quantum world at http://www.newscientist.com/hottopics/quantum/, which is especially good if you don't have money for books and are allergic to the library.

If you really want to understand this stuff, then you will have to take physics at college (although some math and chemistry programs will cover it as well). There's no real alternative to that I'm afraid. However, if you are really determined to learn it now, then you will need a good understanding of calculus, classical mechanics and the physics of vibrations and waves before you start. Picking up a couple of heavy books with titles like "University Physics" and "Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers" would be a good start, as would looking at the three-volume "Feynman Lectures on Physics".

It's probably better for your sanity and social life to wait until college though, so I recommend sticking to the popular accounts and occasionaly bugging your science teacher and us with difficult questions.

You got excellent answers from these guys already and I have little to add. But you may want to take a look at KingNerd04 post. I gave an extensive answer to his questions and you may find that some of it applies to your case too.
Good Luck.

hey everyone
I am doing an interpretation of youngs experiment at school and I was wondering if there would be eny point in useing a cathode ray as my source. Would this even work? and if so would there be any point in this.

it would work but y not use a laser. Theyre cheap to find and easy to buy. The monochromatic wavelength will give you a better result.

alright thanks. I was just playing with the idea, seeing if i could test both a laser and the electron stream. but thanks

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles at a microscopic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and subatomic particles behave and interact with each other.

2. How is quantum physics different from classical physics?

Quantum physics differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, while classical physics describes the behavior of larger objects. Additionally, classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics allows for probabilities and uncertainties in the behavior of particles.

3. Can quantum physics be applied to everyday life?

While quantum physics may seem abstract and removed from our daily lives, it has many practical applications. For example, quantum mechanics is used in the development of computer and communication technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

4. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum physics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is due to the nature of particles at a quantum level, where their exact position and momentum cannot be simultaneously measured.

5. How can I learn more about quantum physics?

If you are interested in learning more about quantum physics, there are many resources available. You can read books, watch lectures, and take online courses to gain a better understanding of the subject. Additionally, you can also seek guidance from a physicist or join a study group to discuss and explore quantum physics concepts in depth.